Author Topic: Crank Impulse Sensor  (Read 1916 times)

Offline 16vmk3ash

• GTI forum regular
Crank Impulse Sensor
« on: 14 March 2006, 16:01 »
Is the crank impulse sensor located under the oil filter to the right  on a 16v? if so how the hell do i remove the bolt/screw to remove it without dismantling the front end of the car?

Offline animaniac

• GTI forum regular
Re: Crank Impulse Sensor
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2006, 02:32 »
yes its located on the front of the block next to the oil filter...

its held in place by i think is a small allen key headed bolt. possibley a 5mm. you need to check the size on etka..

my mate took his 8v the dealer.... only because he didnt know where or what it was.....

i've seen the crank sender on the vr6 its not hard to get at........ so i cant see the 16v having any problems basicly an 8v block......

you need to jack the car up and get at it from under the car.....

if you need any more help try vwvortex forums www.vwvortex.com some people on their are engine dismantlers and rebuilders.....

in fact there is a diy guide on how to do anything on there.......

Offline 16vmk3ash

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2006, 00:03 »
I know where the sensor is, i can just partially see it from above but under neath you cant. its rock hard to get at!.
it looks like i will have to remove the starter moter and the engine mount just to remove 1 screw. There must be a tool available or an easier way?

Offline nitro

• Not said much yet
  • sometimes it just has to be done.....
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2006, 10:21 »
sorry for not being helpful but, i had the same thought about the heater matrix  :sick:
why not a removable plate in the engine bay  :angry:
sometimes it just dont make sense!!

Offline majic mk3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2006, 19:44 »
I've just replaced mine on my 8v, you have to remove the starter motor to get the front engine mount off to get to it. I was told where it was by an ex-worker at VW as i couldn't find it, and he said what to do, so i'm guessing there's no other way!!!

It doesn't take long anyway, it sounds more work than it is really...

Offline 16vmk3ash

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2006, 20:32 »
What a nightmare! took me 8hr today to replace the sensor. I had to remove the starter motor, front engine mount, front strut and the oil filter and it was still hard to get at with a allen key.
after all that the car still wont start :cry:
Gona post a new thread now with my cars symptons and see if any1 knows what else might be the problem.

Offline animaniac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2006, 02:02 »
if you have no luck on here please try the vwvortex forums....... some of them seem to know whats what!

are you getting a spark, is your fuel pump whizzing, does the fuel pump relay click when you turn the ignition!

another cheap thing to try is the ecu relay, only a £10 i have a grey one now as the black are prone to going! this should also click when you turn on the ignition!