Author Topic: Tyre recommendations  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: Tyre recommendations
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2024, 07:18 »
I'd like to hear from anybody running Conti SC 7's - they seem to come top of many tyre reviews for overall performance and yet not many are running them - only asking as they could be on my list for next time.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2024, 09:13 »
I'd like to hear from anybody running Conti SC 7's - they seem to come top of many tyre reviews for overall performance and yet not many are running them - only asking as they could be on my list for next time.

I went with GY 6 on mine as there was a good dea at the timel. I considered the Conti 7, of the many posirive reviews I read, the biggest "real world" issue seemed to be quite a high wear rate compared to it's peers?

Offline KieranMc

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2024, 13:23 »

Can’t say I am particularly impressed with them tbh! Loads raving about them they seem to be quick wearing and grip not what I expected either! I had Conti SC 6s on couple of previous type R I have had and they were superb but don’t like the 7s on other half’s golf!
Indium grey manual Mk7.5GTI
19” Gloss black Prets
Carbon mirrors
Osram sweeping mirror indicators

Offline ProtoCulture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2024, 22:03 »
I've had 4 new CSC7's fitted this morning, coming from a set of GYAS6. Early days so I can't say if they are any better I'll come back here after a few hundred miles have passed.

The AS6 has more rim protection if that's your thing...

AS6 did two track days on top of the usual stuff and handled it ok, they did get hot and did take some punishment though.
2016 Tornado Red GTI PP, DSG, 19" Santiago's, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Park Assist & Camera.
Mods: Revo Stage 1 ECU & TCU remap. Racingline R600 with Inlet pipe, turbo elbow and muffler delete. Clubsport S backbox. Eibach lowering springs. VBT Hooked discs and Racingline RP700 pads.

Offline TDInowGTiLover

• Just got here
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2024, 23:07 »
Laufenn is a sub brand of Hankook. I'd suggest they are lower end of the mid range. Having not experienced them I can't say for sure. Haven't really seen reviews of them either. Maybe one, can't remember what type of tyres were tested sporty or touring but I just remember they weren't particularly high on the list. Unfortunately for me I have bought my gti with some Chinese budgets called Wideway Sportsway on the front. Probably shoved on the car to pass an MOT. To be fair in the dry they don't seem too bad. Good turn in and good grip but this could just be the cars natural characteristic being a GTI making it feel this way compared to my old car on better tyres. I can't trust taking them to the edge. When budgets let go they really go generally speaking. In the wet you can definitely feel a fair reduction in grip. Aquaplaning hasn't been bad to be fair just not so easy to put the power down. When they wear down all four will be changed as one of the rears is getting close to it's limits.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2024, 23:09 by TDInowGTiLover »
2020 (70 plate) MK 7.5 Golf GTi performance in indium grey
Previous 2017 MK3 Leon xcellence tech (now the wife's)
2011 Seat Exeo 2.0 TDI sport tech
2003 Seat Ibiza mk4 1.9 TDI sport 130. was modded to 180 😁
2000 Seat Ibiza mk3 1.6 sport
1997 seat Ibiza mk2 1.4 SXE

Offline DrivenToDistraction

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 21 April 2024, 10:09 »
Another vote for the Michelin Pilot Sport 5's. Replaced the fronts (Bridgestones still had 3-4 mm, but I didn't like them) just over a year ago and very pleased with them. As said by others, relatively quiet, grippy and pothole resilient! Not even much wear yet, but I have only done about 7k miles over that period. Can't compete with your £350-for-4 quote (Goodyear Eagle F1's), as the two fronts cost me £226 inc VAT and balancing etc. May have been able to get them slightly cheaper elsewhere (?), but the service at my local tyre fitting centre is brilliant and I am happy to pay a bit more for that.