Author Topic: Swissvax Onyx wax  (Read 14830 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Swissvax Onyx wax
« on: 10 January 2016, 18:09 »
Today I managed to grab a break in the rainy weather to wash the car and try out some Swissvax Onyx wax on the bonnet.

My normal goto wax is DoDo Juice Blue Velvet Pro and Collinte 915, but I’ve been wanting to try Swissvax waxes for a while now.  After a bit of deliberation I’ve decided to try both Onyx and Best of Show.  I bought a sample pot of Onyx and will be getting some BoS very soon.  At this stage both will be trialled on the bonnet only for a few weeks each, and then I will decide which one will be used on the whole car, if I am sufficiently impressed by either of them.

Swissvax Onyx is a standard wax for all paintwork types with 30% by volume of pure Brazilian Grade One Carnauba.   

Prep - first I throughly washed the car - double snow foam and 3BW.  Car was then dried off using Metro Vac n Blo and drying towels.  Tyres dressed and tailpipes polished.

Onto the preparation of the bonnet for the Onyx. I removed all existing wax from the bonnet, using DoDo Juice Lime Prime Lite, followed by Gtechniq Panel Wipe for good measure.  This left the bonnet perfectly clean and ready for my base sealant.

Sealant - I applied 1 coat of my usual sealant - Poorboys Ex-P and left it for 30 minutes, then buffed off.

Wax - next up was the Swissvax Onyx. 

I applied a first thin coat using a foam wax applicator and left it for 5 minutes, then buffed off with a microfibre.  I then followed this up with a second coat of Onyx, again leaving for 5 minutes and buffing off to a high shine.

The wax is a cross between a paste and a hard wax in terms of consistency. It’s the colour of mango flesh, which is apt as it smells like a tropical fruit salad.  I’m not normally seduced by the smell of detailing stuff, but have to say the smell was divine.  Made me think of summer holidays!

Onyx is an absolute dream to apply.  I was totally stunned how easily it went on . It’s so silky, just glides over the surface.  Nothing I’ve ever tried before has felt this effortless to apply. Following the application instructions, I was careful not to let it dry and left it for 5 mins only each time.  As easy as it went on, it buffed off with equal ease.  A lovely, lovely wax on and off.

Wax on bonnet

Results - the result is impressive - a very nice velvety finish and good depth and gloss.  Time will tell how it performs in terms of durability and longevity.

Close ups

Beading/sheeting video - I did a brief video of water behaviour on the Onyx, and pretty good result for  wax.  Water was easily repelled and ran off swiftly.  A few beads were left on the bonnet at the end but what great great bead they were!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2RzOlOHhuM

Bonnet beading shots - the beading on the bonnet is beautiful. Nice pinched beads.  Can only imaging what it will be like on the roof!

I really hope that it lasts a reasonable amount of time and holds up well, because the finish is superb. Even more excited to try the Best of Show next as that has a higher carnauba content at 51% by volume.

And after all that, it started raining!
« Last Edit: 10 January 2016, 22:38 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
Re: Swissvax Onyx wax
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2016, 18:32 »
Looks great, knew you'd like it!

Offline Blackmass

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2016, 22:22 »
Great write up Rebecca, looks great. Thing is you car already looked stunning before you waxed it. :grin:
The beading looks top draw too. I must admit I'm a sucker for a good bit of beading.  :laugh:

I looking forward to trying a few different waxes this year.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2016, 00:14 »
Cheers guys. 

I'm in love with the Onyx beading! 😍  Bring on the rain, oh wait, it's already here.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 11 January 2016, 00:17 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2016, 15:02 »
That's the problem with these tests, they all have the same outcome:

Booth11 cleans car > car looks stunning.

:tongue: :cool:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2016, 15:44 »
That's the problem with these tests, they all have the same outcome:

Booth11 cleans car > car looks stunning.

:tongue: :cool:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

It's not what you do, it's how you do it that counts.  :wink:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2016, 16:07 »
Coming in Episode 37, Booth11 uses Fairy liquid and an old sponge.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2016, 16:53 »
Coming in Episode 37, Booth11 uses Fairy liquid and an old sponge.

Don't hold your breath........cos it ain't ever gonna happen  :tongue:

That'll be the sequel that NEVER gets made!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline hkp

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2016, 15:44 »
I use SwissVax Sheild and Zuffenhausen on my Boxster. Swear by the stuff after having been converted a while back.

A mate of mine put some Crystal Rock on my old black GTD - it was still beading after 5 months!! All of them smell amazing too!

Offline hkp

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2016, 15:48 »
It's all about the big pots though Booth11! :grin: