Author Topic: Manual to DSG  (Read 13767 times)

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Manual to DSG
« on: 03 August 2009, 22:16 »
I've driven manual gearshifts all my life.  I've never driven any automatic long enough to get used to it.  I've ordered the DSG with the Mk VI.

Anybody else made a similar transiiton?  How easy is it to get used to?

Rolfe.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: Manual to DSG
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2009, 23:01 »
I've driven manual gearshifts all my life.  I've never driven any automatic long enough to get used to it.  I've ordered the DSG with the Mk VI.

Anybody else made a similar transiiton?  How easy is it to get used to?

Rolfe.

Why are you spending around £1500 on something you need to get used to ? That's crazy Rolfe.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2009, 23:14 »
£1305 list price actually, and remember the discount I got.

Why are you buying an iPod that you need to learn how to use, when you're already famiiar with your CD Walkman?

Rolfe.

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2009, 23:25 »
I have also driven manuals all my life until 2 years ago when I made a switch to an automatic. But now I am back with a manual again. IMO, its easier to switch from manual to an automatic/dsg than a person who is used to automatics and then wishes to switch to manual.

So Rolfe, do not worry, it will be convenient and effortless. You will also suddenly find yourself with more time to think and ponder life's questions while driving...

HM
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2009, 00:22 »

yeah, left foot and left hand become redundant, end up thinner and will waste away and fall off...

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2009, 10:04 »
Well, when I was test driving the DSG, as I was turning into a stream of traffic and would normally have changed up, my left foot automatically stamped down - on the brake!  It was a very impressive test of the car's emergency stop, and fortunately no harm was done.  I kind of hope I'll get out of that habit relatively soon though....   :rolleyes:

Rolfe.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2009, 10:35 by Rolfe »

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2009, 10:22 »
My mother had that problem when she switched to an automatic... I nearly lost my lunch, heart, stomach and whatever else that was not fixed to the car.

HM

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2009, 11:18 »
£1305 list price actually, and remember the discount I got.

Why are you buying an iPod that you need to learn how to use, when you're already famiiar with your CD Walkman?

Rolfe.

What a crazy comparison to make, thing is, if you want a personal music system like an ipod you need to buy one. You have no choice of course unless you want to walk about with the walkman and 50 cd's be my guest. You don't need to buy DSG, you already have the skills to drive it manually. Also an ipod is not £1305 minus discount.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2009, 11:23 »
racing car drivers can drive manual as well...so why did they go paddles?

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2009, 11:33 »
racing car drivers can drive manual as well...so why did they go paddles?

Its quicker and more responsive than using the clutch and traditional shifting but it was a lot more expensive too. At present though, with greater technology developments being made cheaper, have allowed us mere mortals who are budget conscious to acquire affordable 'racing' gear boxes such as the DSG to be in our day to day cars. But I think we cannot compare ourselves to those who race professionally, their job is to drive cars whether auto or manual daily. We commoners, prolly use the same car for years, so changing the method of driving does have an impact...   :tongue: