Author Topic: GTi 1.8T, Cutting out and labouring.  (Read 1436 times)

Offline jlbrown3

• Not said much yet
GTi 1.8T, Cutting out and labouring.
« on: 09 January 2007, 16:40 »
I bought my '99 Golf GTi 1.8T in May; 44000 miles and clean as a whistle, I was well pleased! Recently however I have had some intermittent problems:

1. When stationary (at junction etc.) the engine would occasionally cut out.  The electrics would still be on.
2. When accelerating from stationary I seem to lose power, feeling as if I had suddenly lifted my foot off the accelerator.  If I keep my foot down the engine seems to come back to life but on one occasion I brought the car to a stop and the engine cut out as above.

Problems similar to this seem common with Golfs and I am sorry if I am treading over a well worn path on this forum but does anyone know of a resolution?  I am led to believe ignition coils are a common problem with this model, could this be the cause?

Offline Saffa

• Not said much yet
Re: GTi 1.8T, Cutting out and labouring.
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2007, 19:53 »
Hi,

Coils are a know problem, but would cause a missfire rather than loss of power.

would be worth checking your MAF sensor ( only buy genuine vw exchange units ), coolant temp sender and e.c.u power relay ( if fitted - some did some did not ). or could be fuel filter, all of these are common and could cause running problems so worth getting them all checked out.

Hope you get to the bottom of it

Jochen.

Offline Downsey

• Not said much yet
Re: GTi 1.8T, Cutting out and labouring.
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2007, 05:33 »
Stalling is likely to be a boost leak - check all hoses? listen for a hissing noise!!