Author Topic: Mud flaps  (Read 3018 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Mud flaps
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2019, 10:10 »
Just NO ! they don’t belong on a GTi. And for people saying they avoid stone chips,absolute tosh. Stone chips don’t happen there. They happen on the bonnet and front bumper just like any other car. Flaps belong on corollas. Just my 2c on course.  :laugh:

This is what I’ve found. Virtually stone chips on the lower sides or sills of my car without mud flaps in 3.5 years (certainly no more than on cars that’ve had mud flaps), but I’ve picked up a few on the bonnet and front bumper.

The subject of mud flaps crops up periodically on forums and will always divide opinion. Having had them on the 13 previous cars I owned over a nearly 40 year period, and now not having them on my current car, I wouldn’t bother with them again. Also, bear in mind;
  • the front mud flaps on the Golf are very short, so are unlikely to offer much protection to the sill area, other than immediately behind the actual mud flap.
  • VW mud flaps are made of a hard plastic so don’t flex if they get caught on an obstruction. When I owned my mk4 Golf, I caught the rear mud flaps against a high kerbstone when reverse parking up to it and one of them was ripped off the car as a result, damaging the fixing points into the wheel arch liner. Something to consider for anyone who regularly reverse parks up against a pavement, or has a steep driveway where there’s a risk of mud flaps catching on the ground moving from driveway to roadway.
As said, it’s a personal choice, but I’m a ‘no mud flap’ convert. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 14 July 2019, 13:02 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2019, 11:01 »
They also collect dirt, mud, stones etc.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2019, 12:20 »
To the OP - I think the bottom line is do you like the look of them and do you want to spend the £200ish to fit them? Only you can decide!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.