Author Topic: Remove Boot Badge  (Read 17258 times)

Offline me109

• Just got here
Remove Boot Badge
« on: 15 October 2013, 20:45 »
Hi there,

Would it be relatively easy to remove the GTD badge off the back of mine.. Are they simply stuck on.
Audi veteran, on order 1st VW..  GTD, Black, Dynaudio

Offline CBRT

• Not said much yet
Re: Remove Boot Badge
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2013, 20:59 »
This is the failsafe way to debadge a car as approved by VW/Audi training. 
Boil 500mls of tap water, place teabag in cup. Pour boiled water into your cup to within 22mm of the top. Allow to brew for 2 minutes, remove teabag. Stir and add milk and sugar to taste. Take cuppa in your left hand and take the kettle in your right hand to the car, consume at least 1/4 of contents the cup of tea, by this time the water will have cooled to the correct operating temperature. Pour the remaining water from the kettle over the badge you would like to remove. This softens the foam backing to the badge without damaging paint work or other trim items. Gently prise the badge off by hand, rub any foam that sticks to the car off with your thumb (possibly your right one as the left hand is still holding your cuppa).  If you use wire or other objects to remove the badge or the foam you can scratch the paint. Also some heat sources can be to high for your trim items or paint. New paint is soft and can come off in chunks. Wipe clean with dry towel or chammie and consume remaining contents of cuppa. Repeat as necessary.
For those technically minded the active ingredient in the Tea (theanine) ensures that you are relaxed enough doing this. For those of you with assistants or apprentices the making of the tea and delivery of the kettle to you at the car can be delegated to them.
2013 MK7 Golf GTI
1995 MK3 VR6 GTI Engineering
2003 M3 Coupe
2002 GSXR 750
1995 MK3 CL 1.6l (for sale)

Offline me109

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2013, 21:07 »
I doff my hat to you kind sir :)
Audi veteran, on order 1st VW..  GTD, Black, Dynaudio

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2013, 21:21 »
Thats the best reply i have read in a long time  :grin: :afro:

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2013, 21:29 »
Brilliant! ;D

This is going in the maintenance and info sticky!  8)
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline CBRT

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2013, 21:40 »
 :cool: :cool: :grin:
2013 MK7 Golf GTI
1995 MK3 VR6 GTI Engineering
2003 M3 Coupe
2002 GSXR 750
1995 MK3 CL 1.6l (for sale)

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2013, 22:09 »
Dental floss works for me then use tar remover to clean off the excess adhesive residue.

Drink tea first if it relaxes you :)

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2014, 18:58 »
I used a small length of crab line then wiped off any residue with Intensive Tar Remover when I replaced my rear GTI badge for the red one. Worked a treat with no damage at all.
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2014, 20:20 »
Loved  CBRT's post above - brilliant  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Last time I done this I used a hairdryer (continuously moving it) to soften glue and then gently prised the letters off. Any residue was then sprayed with Scotch-Weld Cleaner Spray. Left that to soak for a minute and then wiped the residue away without any damage at all to the paintwork. Even left a nice citrus smell  :laugh:

Then stand back and admire your handiwork  :smiley:
7GTI PP DSG - no longer