Author Topic: CEL, Oil Light, Cylinder Misfire - HELP!  (Read 1034 times)

Offline SafferYork

• Just got here
CEL, Oil Light, Cylinder Misfire - HELP!
« on: 11 December 2016, 21:05 »
Hi all.

My check engine light came on. Checked it on vagcom - misfire on cylinder 3. Replaced the plugs, the leads and the ignition coil. Didnt help with the CE light. Came on after about a day after being reset.

The yellow oil light then came on. I stopped, checked the oil and it was at a decent level, not under filled. I then topped it up to max. CE light went out! Whats up with that? Check on Vagcom, cleared the old codes, drove for a couple of days and no CE light.

Then a few days ago, CE light came back on - same issue - misfire cylinder 3. About a day later, the yellow oil light came on again.

Same story, oil was still at a decent level, topped up to max, CEL gone!

Any help on this one??

Mk4 2.0 2002 GTi.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: CEL, Oil Light, Cylinder Misfire - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2016, 22:23 »
Whats the plug look like. Has it got loads of oil on it.
If the lambda senses things arnt right the car will shut a cylinder do which the problems in. The 1.6 16v will shut the injector down on the cylinder where the problem is.
Id start by checking the plug and a compression test.
Then ide swap a coilpack around if all thats ok and see if that changes where the miss fire is or plug a coilpack into number 3 coilpack plug and see if you can get a spark

Offline SafferYork

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2016, 22:25 »

At idle, I can feel a little rumble, but nothing while driving. I can hear a tappet tick with the bonnet open.
Plugs look fine, burning good, not damaged, not black.

P0300 - Random Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

Before I topped up, it was in the middle of the dipstick, between min and max.
Cant afford a pressure test right now unfortunately. Tested the lambdas with Vagcom - no problems.
The coil pack is brand new - its not the individual coils, its the single pack - its a 2.0 GTi.

I did find something interesting about a misfire here - https://www.reddit.com/r/Cartalk/com..._misfires_all/ - "Is the misfire associated with a loud, mechanical "clicking" or "tapping" noise? If so you need to consider a weak hydraulic lifter, and this goes hand-in-hand with oil pressure"

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2016, 23:21 »
Ahh sorry not famillier with the 2 loter. The lower cc have individual coilpacks.
Do you not know anyone with a compression tester. It sounds like your in the right ball park with what you found. Obvously thats not a 5 second job normally. Again not really looked at the 2 litre gti