Author Topic: EOBD2 Handheld scan tool.  (Read 1464 times)

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
EOBD2 Handheld scan tool.
« on: 01 December 2016, 17:39 »
I've asked this question before, but it was either not answered or got lost somewhere...

Does anyone with a Mk4 TDI use a handheld diagnostic scanner which works properly with the car and its systems?

I'm on my third one and whilst they all sort of work, none of them are performing like they should....the dreaded 'LINK ERROR' keeps coming up!

Can anyone recommend a unit which really works?

I know that many of you will just suggest getting the uber expensive VCDS thingy, but that is pretty hard to stuff in the glovebox on a long trip.

Any ideas?
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: EOBD2 Handheld scan tool.
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2016, 20:30 »
Get a KKL cable and wbhdiag (the 0.xx version is free)..... I bought a kkl cable despite having full VCDS and VCP for just messing around when I don't want to try things with the expensive cables on old cars.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152158688196?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2016, 17:21 »
Thanks for your response mate. Sadly, they won't answer answer any of the questions I've asked them about the item.

Twice in the very recent past I've obtained similar bits of kit, based on the sellers assurances that the instrument will, or should work fine with my vehicle...twice I've been left up the creek without a paddle! Both times the standard answer has been....you should have checked before making a purchase!  I still wonder how to do that.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2016, 13:02 »
What was your question?

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2016, 14:52 »
I tried to ask them if they could assure me that the cable thingy would work on my 1999 Mk4 TDI...but the response was ' the seller is unable to answer your question'. I probably sound petty, but as I explained earlier, I've been stung twice before...no refunds, no tech support, just silly answers.

Thanks for taking the time.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2016, 13:27 »
Yes it does work on the mk4.
I know because I ordered it off them to have a cheap cable to use on parts I don't know the condition off. Amongst other things I have tested golf mk4 speedos and comfort control units.

I use it on my Win10x64 laptop (i7 quad, 16GB RAM and SSD) with the latest FDTI drivers and it works reasonably well. I get a connection 99% of times.

Will PM you later.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2016, 12:02 »
Cheers mate...I'll wait until I hear from you.

:smiley: