Author Topic: Pd150 egr valve and cooler removal  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Ajamesc

• Not said much yet
Pd150 egr valve and cooler removal
« on: 26 November 2016, 12:39 »
Thinking of removing my egr set up and it's cooler using dark side parts. Will also look into doing the vac pipe mode to remove the un used valves at the same time. Anyone done this before. Egr is nasty stuff and as I mostly do small runs it's better for the engine if it's in the bin lol. Also people talk a lot about different engine codes what code will my 53 reg 1.9 tdi be

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Pd150 egr valve and cooler removal
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2016, 12:47 »
Depends on what bhp.
The 130/150 has a bigger egr delete pipe than the lower models

Offline Ajamesc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2016, 12:58 »
I'm not fussed on bhp ive another car I case number on. I will remove the cat and have it re mapped. Dark side have all the bits to do it on the pd150. Not sure what gains I'll see or if it will improve mid rang and mpg. My thinking is more I just want ride of the egr before it causes me problems only driving 10 minutes up the road to work every other week

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2016, 14:29 »
Thats what i mean. The 150bhp egr delete pipe is a bigger bore pipe than say the 105bhp varient will have.

Ide personally pull the inlet and clean make sure its clean afterwards.
Alards do a decat pipe aswell but i couldnt say if its better than darksides or not as ive never had a darkside egr delete

Offline Ajamesc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2016, 14:49 »
Cool thanks for the reply I don't know much about vw's I'm a cosworth man. Just ordered a heated seat loom and 2 switches as my seats are not wired in so that's on the job list.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2016, 15:33 »
Im a vw man. But you cant beat a proper ford now and then.

Offline Ajamesc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2016, 20:46 »
Ha ha yep there good old rwd tuneable cars lol. Mine in bits at the moment engine being built at m.a.developments. Autronic sm4 ecu 200 block ductile iron liners cp pistons carrillo con rods. Twin scroll manifold borg warner 9180 turbo supra diff quaife gearbox list longer than my arm lol will make around 680bhp hoping for over 500lbft of torque
« Last Edit: 26 November 2016, 20:49 by Ajamesc »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2016, 21:18 »
Nice. Sierra i take it?

So much better than the newer stuff

Offline Ajamesc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2016, 21:30 »
Yeah G reg rwd saff

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2016, 22:03 »
For reference PD150 has the engine code ARL.

Personally i find the EGR / ASV delete overrated, the thing is a lot of people end up ditching it after discovering it severely clogged up and in-operational anyhow so of course once its gone you're bound to notice a huge improvement as the engine can breath again.

Speaking from experience of removing it on my previous PD130 (ASZ) mk4 Golf wagon and my current PD150 (ARL) Seat Leon FR I've just opted to refit it...
The reason been for the type of driving i do which involves a short commute to work early in the morning when its at its coldest i really do benefit from the marginally faster warm up time.
Plus there's the fact you retain ASV (anti-shudder valve) which was put in place to aid shut down, whether it be a smoother shut down in daily use or in the unfortunate event of the engine deciding to ingest it's own oil.

As long as it's sparkly clean and the vacuum solenoids are working correctly i don't see any gains from binning it.