Author Topic: mk2 golf gti cut out and wont start!!  (Read 2459 times)

Offline t-dub1902

• Not said much yet
mk2 golf gti cut out and wont start!!
« on: 28 November 2013, 19:20 »
Hi
So yes last night the mk2 let me down :(
It struggled to start so i put the battery charger on for about two hours and cranked up first time!

So thourt id give her a good run and as i went round a island to come back on myself she just litrally died cut out i rolled to a stop and tryed to start but nothing it turns over but doesent crank up

I got towd back and by the time i got home all the lights died so ive put battery on charge today but still wont start any ideas??

Cheers

Offline Sgt_Lemon

• I live here
  • 8v owners club
Re: mk2 golf gti cut out and wont start!!
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2013, 20:00 »
Get the battery charged and find a multimeter. Get the car started and see if it's charging enough/ holding a charge. If not look towards the alternator, namely the small blue exciter wire. Test this also to see if it's delivering the correct power. In this weather I think it's probably the battery.

Offline t-dub1902

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2013, 20:01 »
I have charged it up today and still no start imay get new battery and buy a battery alternator tester?? Just hipe its nothn major!

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2013, 17:17 »
Check the earth/negative cable to the chassis. This should go from the battery terminal-> chassis leg behind battery > gearbox.

Description is a bit vague. Does it turn over at all?

Could be the alternator not charging enough, the car was running on a full battery and later died. A red battery light on the dash is a giveaway.
:)

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2013, 17:41 »
check for buzzing from main fuel pump and also check distributor hall sender. my last mk2 I ran for 6 years and that was the only things that left me at the side of the road. (in the dark of course).

Offline t-dub1902

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2013, 19:38 »
Cheers for the advice guys the battery light is flashing and it does turn over just doesnt crank up!!

Maybe the battery has packed in?
And my fuel pump did engage loudly its now quite maybe thats broke how can i test this..

Cheers

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2013, 20:48 »
disconnect the fuel line that goes to top of injector rail and stick it in an old juice bottle. then switch on ignition and check to see if any fuel in bottle. if not then pump has failed or jammed. sometimes they free off but a new 1 is recommended.

Offline Sgt_Lemon

• I live here
  • 8v owners club
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2013, 21:19 »
If you have fuel and it's cranking then check the ht circuit. Start by taking the main plug from the coil to dizzy dizzy end and position it a few mm from the head (rest it on something so you don't zap yourself like I have quite a few times). Now get someone to try and start to see if you get a spark. If you do then go through and check the plugs.
Remove them one at a time (visually inspect them for carbon build up etc then place them back into the ht lead and test using the same method as before. When testing for spark sometimes is good to pull the fuel pump relay or fuse so you don't flood it.