Author Topic: Gti 8V Rough running sorted for £3.50 with thanks to this forum.  (Read 3826 times)

Offline BusheyTrader

• Just got here
Basically my 85,000 mile 1997 8V Gti bogged and hesitated when accelerating through 2,000 to 2,200 rpm when warmed up and was sluggish past 4,500rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th. It also kangerood when slowing down through 1,500 rpm in any gear. I'd already fitted a new rotor arm, dissy cap, plug leads, plugs, ECU and fuel pump relays, vacuum hoses and a known good replacement throttle body in an attempt to sort it. VAGCOM said it was potentiometer "control" and the plug tips looked white indicating a lean mixture.

Removing the leads to the Mass Airflow Sensor resulted in a loss of idle initially but the engine instantly regained all it's previous power and flexibility.  I removed the MAF and very carefully cleaned off the black residue with Electrical Contact Cleaner spray from Maplins (£3.50)  After letting it dry naturally and refitting it, I had my old Gti back and it's been fine for the last week or so.  According to the trip computer the mpg is much the same.  VAGCOM shows no errors.

Sorted :smiley:

P.S.  I cleaned out the throttle body last year when idling became an issue.  The car has never had an after market air filter fitted
« Last Edit: 30 September 2009, 21:38 by BusheyTrader »

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
Well in that case i think you should donate £5 to the forum charity considering it did save you a considerable amout more

:smiley:

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
I second that!  :wink:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk