Author Topic: grungeisdead - "project muppet another mk1 joins the flock"  (Read 56463 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
Re: grungeisdead - mk1 misfortune
« Reply #30 on: 17 March 2008, 01:15 »
cheers for all the positive comments above fellas :)

been stripping the golf in the time being, heres some pics

hopefully arranging collection for project muppet this weekend but im struggling to get hold of a trailer in the walsall area as a friend who lives locally to their has offered to drive it up to manchester for free!

just off out to whip the short shift kit and front arb off, the water inside the car was from a leaky heater matrix, which sods law dictated i only changed six months ago. morale there is, if it aint broke dont fix it.

Does anyone know if the hubs are the same for small block mk1s, ie can i use my gti hubs and wishbones on project muppet, it means i can just take the complete coilover strut/hub/brakes and wishbone off in one go for swapping over :-D

also after a spare rear axle to get shot blasted and powdercoated, want to build it up with mk4 rear discs and a proportion valve.

got some stuff to get shot off here if anyones interested

http://clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1438553#post1438553
« Last Edit: 17 March 2008, 01:17 by grungeisdead »

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 17 March 2008, 01:18 »
woke up with an absolutely banging head today after going out on a **** up with three canadian lassies last night, however i managed to actually wake up at a sensible time and have a well productive day

first up, removing the rear coilies and wheels off the red golf

half arsed cleaning attempt :P

project muppet landed on me doors so i gutted the inside as it was choc-full of parts.

look at me spare room now :lol:

will sift through it tonight or tomorrow and do an inventory and picture everything seperatley

project muppet was looking a lil worse for wear after sitting in a garage for the last year or so, so a good wash and wax was desperatly needed, beena also got her first wash in about 3 months :lol: no waxing tho, will wax it tomorrow, then her car cover comes monday so she can hibernate till the summer.

anyway some pics of the cleaned muppet

pics of the classics, im after 14x7 or 8s if anyones up for a swap + cash either way. will sell outright if anyones after em

195/45/13s  each tire be a diff make yoko a539, conti, fulda and assuro, all got plenty of meat.

picked up a new steering wheel and boss today for 35 nicker, already had a boss in the muppet so wheels got swapped over.

Whipped the classics off the front to nosey as the brakes and suspension

Stuck the lorbers on the front for the time being until i start/finish swapping the coilies tomorrow,

also fitted the debadged grille with the rabbit badge that came in ze post

and one of the carbless engine bay, i shall be spending tomorrow cleaning it up with some degunk if i can find it.

well thats all for now cos im knackered and need to grab dinner mmm

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 17 March 2008, 01:20 »
[quote name='PearlMk1' post='1201666' date='Mar 15 2008, 12:08 PM']Do you have the carpeted floor from the red Mk1 still?[/quote]

yep,

woke up late today, walshie dropped by to get chop happy on the nova loons springs.

anyway fitted the fks onto the rear of muppet and the jamex springs/shocks onto beena.

rear shocks coming off

coilies on rear

whipped front hub assembly, coilover strut and 256mm G60s off beena

whipped the same off the muppet

but was faced with a gayored outer cv, (this is why it was a pain to push the car onto the drive)

so whipped off the driveshaft,

got a couple in the house so will measure them up later tonight, hopefully one will be reet! gotta clean up the two drivers side hub assemblies and spin the adjuster rings down a bit, then tomorrow can finish swapping over the coilies/brakes.

probably wont bother bleeding the brakes just yet, as i may be fitting a 22mm mc and servo, might need to fit a gti brake linkage bar.

loads more jobs to do but plenty of time. woo

good news, found a matching driveshaft in me batcave

sorted thru all the stuff i got with the car. give us a shout if anyone wants anything

Mk1 Golfs Grills Complete x 2
Mountney 340mm Steering Wheel
Mk1 Golf Boss
Wolfsburg Wheel
288mm  5x100 VR6 Brakes
Mk1 Parcel Shelf Black
Mk2 Parcel Shelf Brown
Retro Radios x 2
Mk1 Master Cylinder
Mk3 Gti Smoked NSR Light
Mk2 GTI Smoked NSR Light
Momo Gearknob
Exhaust Midbox - unknown car
variour lower undertrays x 10
wiper stalks x 2
indicator stalks x 2
black mk1 sill trims x 2
black mk1 side trims long x 2
black mk1 side trims medium x 1
black mk1 side trims small x 2
Steelie Centres x 3
Unknown Centre Caps Set of 4
Beetle Eyelids?
Various badges
CL Arch Spats

[quote name='walshc' date='Saturday 15th March 2008 - 8:41pm' post='969938']
Took scampi to Yousafs today to meet the muppet (which looks even better in the flesh, colour is soooo cool  8-) ) and to set the grinder on the rear springs  :badgrin:

Nice new spring, nothing wrong with it, except for being too big  :-(  :lol:

Off with its head  :badgrin:

The result  8-)

I'm still not happy with it  :cry:  :lol:  going to cut a little more off tomorrow, just seeing if they settle a little tonight. The ride is really bumpy now  :lol:  8-)
[/quote]

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 17 March 2008, 01:21 »
fitted new driveshaft and swapped over all the suspension and brakes, just got a wheel to stick on beena tomorrow but couldnt be arsed as we had to mooch over to kfc and get some grub

anyway some piccies

and a couple of walshie in action saying bye bye to some helper springs

[quote name='walshc' date='Sunday 16th March 2008 - 11:23pm' post='971311']
Few pics i took of the muppet  8-)
Cocking a leg or 2  :unibrow:

Looking good on black wheels

Theres a Yousaf under there, getting fruity again  :badgrin:

It looks mint in the dark, the paint kind of glows, i tried to capture it here, but i failed  :cry:  :lol:

[/quote]

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
Re: grungeisdead - "project muppet another mk1 joins the flock"
« Reply #34 on: 18 March 2008, 19:17 »
found out today the engine is a JB which is a 1.5 70bhp lump.

have sourced a weber 32/36 DTML, k&n filter and EZ inlet manifold to run a 4 pin carb. If the weber turns out to be too expensive i have a pooberg 2e2 which i can put on...

although looking at the current inlet manifold it was made by satan himself with the two most inaccessible bolts holding it to the head.....

anyway got the rear interior fitted today and some of the speaker wiring laid down, also fitted the harness pre-tensioners, still got to wire them up, but ive got a 4 way power distribution block for the stereo,central locking,amp etc.

anyway some pics of the interiay

undecided as to cover the suspension turrents in carpet or leave them green, ill also be getting a rear strut brace to ideas as to colour code it or paint it black please?!

could even go white to match the wheels when they are painted and the white headlining (which is already fitted)

also turns out the engine mount is that of the large block engine so my gti engine will drop straight in, the 5 speed box will need a small bit of modifying to fit along with the complete gti gear linkages, however ive got a full missinglinks short shift kit for that job :)

on a trip to derby today or tomorrow to see chaz and pick up some 14 inch mini g60 steels, crystal cross-hairs and some m3 rear lights (not for the muppet, for beena, but mainly to sell, swapping std rears for ebaylicious goodies :P )

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 20 March 2008, 03:36 »
been in pirate modding skillz hq with karl, chaz and stevie generally getting mashed.

went down to looms and found a couple of wrecks to say the least

pissrat - in beruit

4x4 festa anyone?

nothing a bit of por-15 cant sort out

and this one at the unit

a polo bready heralded a triumph tho, a weber 32 TLA, a two pin weber carb that will fit on me current inlet manifold, the cost. a grand total of 15 quid, 5 pound per green splodge with a pen by a dude wi a gammy leg. word

also swapped some oem rear lights for these barry jobbies, will acid etch primer the edges, paint em black and sell em

also swapped std front lights for these crystal crosshairs

also picked up some 14 inch mini g60s with tyres for the grand sum of 40 quid. (will get some pics tomorrow)

not bad for a two day bake session, and who said you cant be productive and get wasted at the same time :D

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 20 March 2008, 19:41 »
twas chucking it down in manchester today so didnt bother messing about with the carb, instead i camped out in the car and wired up my stereo and central locking, still got the electric window motors to do tomorrow and fit the lower dash trays after hiding the wiring.

also got the front door cards to fit after getting some rubble sacks and duck tape to make door skins before putting the door cards on.

also popped the front and rear lights on the cars.

anyway a few piccies cos I'm off to play halo with the lads

peace

oh also fitted polished door strikers with new nylon rings, they make the door shut so much sweeter and with a nice sound woohoo :)

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 22 March 2008, 18:10 »
well interior nearly done, electric window wiring needs tidying and pre-tensioners still need wiring up, but everythings in place and looking good

full sound system is in and wired up, central locking and electric windows fitted and wired up and harnesses/seats/carpets re-fitted

not taking a picture but ive whipped teh classics off beena and popped the mini g60s on.

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #38 on: 27 March 2008, 20:55 »
well been stripped a few bits off beena today chrome mirrors, doors, boot, got a few bits and pieces to remove from engine tomorrow if i get time, 22.2mm MC/16v servo, all the chrome engine bits, piperx induction kit, inlet manifold is coming off so i can get the exhaust and 4 branch off. depending on time im gonna whip the radiator and other ancilliarly bits off so im just left with a bolted in engine block and box.

oh and chin splitter also came off beena, shall be getting cleaned up and will end up on the muppet when i get some more cable ties :lol:

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 28 March 2008, 23:46 »
today i started stripping beenas engine, i started with this

and ended up getting loads removed, braided fuel lines, injectors, inlet manifold, cold start valve, aav, mc and servo, air filter, metering head, throttle body, coil, radiator, 4 branch is off but i need to remove the driveshaft before i can pull it out from under the car (as its welded to a flexi pipe grr).

some pics of the pics that have come off

theres more bits that came off but they are all the injection stuff i wont need, if anyone wants owt give us a shout

off back home for the weekend tomorrow but when i get back I've got to drain the oil, take off the two oil coolers, I've got a massive eurosport jobbie with a mocal sandwich plate, alternator, driveshafts, 4 branch and exhaust gotta come off too, unwire anything still connected and loosen up the bolts for the engine.

and the twin 40s should be with me by the end of next week, heres what i ended up blagging

2 x Dellorto DHLA 40
throttle linkage (twin cable w/  throttle pedal adaptor)
trumpets
filters
pressure reg
turbo reg
banjos
Setting up Guide

everythings brand new, which is saweet.

things left to purchase for the conversion

8v big block inlet manifold - either mangoletsi (which have poop casts) or vw motorsport (rare) or rowlands (from SA, also rare as fook)
facet red top pump
fuel lines

oh and this was a rather pleasant sight to behold at pimhole scrappy

« Last Edit: 28 March 2008, 23:48 by grungeisdead »