Author Topic: INFO: Hacking the mfa .....  (Read 80399 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: Mk3 - hacked the mfa!
« Reply #50 on: 12 December 2008, 21:15 »
i tried it on my gti and it worked, but i didnt get the digital rev counter though....wierd :undecided: will try again tomorrow though

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: Mk3 - hacked the mfa!
« Reply #51 on: 13 December 2008, 16:46 »
got it to work! i was being ass tarded and was holding the MFS button in lol.

Offline Nino

• I live here
Re: Hacking the mfa .....
« Reply #52 on: 10 March 2010, 01:32 »
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Pete le Deet

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk3 vr6 - hacked the mfa!
« Reply #53 on: 31 August 2019, 10:57 »
Ok.. Number 1 always says 6098
Number 2 just goes to number 3! Number 3 always says 31670, number 4 goes to 6, number 5 just lights up every digit on the display, must be a tester. Number 6 is that sort of stopwatch, number 7 revs! Number 8 should be a trip but doesn't seem to move! Well just written all that through my phone lol, now i'm gonna go try sort my crappy alarm!

Apologies for digging up this topic, but I can offer some info on this 'secret' mode;

Entries 1 and 3 seem to be fixed in any particular instrument cluster, but can vary for other engine/transmission combinations, e.g. the humble 1.6 'AEA' engine has #1 as 6679, while for the 2.0 8v (ADY & AGG) it's usually 6214

Entry 2 is mentioned as being a destination market indicator, with the u.k. apparently being 3

Entry 4 shows the number of engine cylinders, so a VR would be the exception in having the value 6 rather than 4

Entry 5 simply shows every segment of the displays, even unused Mfa arrows (if present) on some lower spec units

Entry 6 advances with rotation of the speedometer sender - I've seen it ticking away with the engine/transmission turning, but the driveshafts disconnected

Entry 7 is indeed an rpm indicator/digital tachometer, which I think is a handy check of the crank sensor for engines that have one, since it registers at cranking speed. The increment amount can vary, some are 50 rpm interval, some 100

Entry 8 I'd guess is the software edition embedded in the unit - it's also shown as 'SW #.#' on some units' part number label

The fuel gauge fluctuates while driving with the mode active since it by-passes built-in damping
« Last Edit: 06 December 2019, 16:59 by Pete le Deet »