Author Topic: How To: Custom White Balance (Or shoot cars in carparks under orange lights!)  (Read 27657 times)

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
alright thanks mate!

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Ummmm, why not just put the paper down in the open where you're shooting from and give it a nice long exposure.  Provided you're not a million miles away from the sodium light source you'll get the white balance a lot closer than otherwise.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Ummmm, why not just put the paper down in the open where you're shooting from and give it a nice long exposure.  Provided you're not a million miles away from the sodium light source you'll get the white balance a lot closer than otherwise.

The trouble with a longer exposure than you are going to shoot with, is that it will mess up the WB figure - it just lets in FAR too much light.

Get a set of warm cards and do it properly! I remember a few years back when we were shooting Glasgow Fashion Week, lost our wb cards and had to use a fella in a nice white t-shirt stood on the catwalk throughout the week!

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Sorry, I didn't mean to go crazy with the exposure.  Open the exposure up enough so that you can accurately capture the hue of the white you're likely to be shooting, if the sample you're shooting is in the same sort of lighting, but is further away from the light source than most of the scene you're shooting.... if that makes sense....
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
OK. well thats complicated, next time i go i'll bare all of these in mind and try a few different things...practice makes perfect i suppose!

thanks

Offline pink witch

• GTI forum regular
Call me old fashioned, but it's so much easier with a manual SLR - just bung a filter on and adjust the exposure to compensate for the filter density  :smiley:

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
^^^

Old fashioned :P

Offline pink witch

• GTI forum regular

Offline thatwillis

• I live here
Hey I've been trying to setup my d3000 but it just tells me it can't get the settings any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
I'm not sure fella as I'm a Canon user, hopefully another Nikon bod will be able to help you out.

nick