Author Topic: Problems during detailing  (Read 2937 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
Problems during detailing
« on: 21 September 2008, 14:52 »
I've detailed my previous car (fiesta) around three times.

Today I detailed my ED30 for the first time clicky.

As mentioned in the above link, I don't have a huge arsenal of equipment yet. Managed a wash, dry and clay. Encountered some problems that I guess other people must have gone through.

1a. Washing - I don't have a hose, live in a flat and there's no outside tap which means I have to carry two buckets to and from the car. Is there a problem with leaving the car with suds on for a few minutes whilst I go and fill up?

1b. Washing - how do I get enough water on to the lower (and dirtier) parts of the car? I was drying off and still found some bits that hadn't shifted from washing.

2. Dripping - After drying but before claying I rub AG vinyl & rubber onto the rubber and plastic bits of the car. I have unfortunately accidentally squirted or dripped the stuff on to the car. Is there a way around this? I now spray on to the cloth but still manage to get drips on to the bodywork.

3. Claying - is it okay to clay the windows? At the mo using AG fast glass on them.

4. Alloys - this was a mission to clean. Didn't use anything special other than the car shampoo I used on the bodywork. Is there something more effective to getting that grime off? Plan to clay and protect the alloys in the near future.

5. Exhaust - used autosol + wirewool. Seemed to be working at the beginning but after 10-15 minutes, I didn't seem to be getting any closer to getting cleaner chrome. The rings at the end were improving but the rest of the exhaust tip didn't. How much polish should I be using and how much is down to wirewool? Will I see better results if I scrub for half an hour?

6. Interior chrome - what's good for the ED30 chrome trim?

7. Interior - what's good for the plastic? The seats were scotchguarded or whatever it's called at the dealers. Is it still worth using an interior cleaner? In the old car, I tried using turtlewax spray foam that comes with a brush but the only thing it did was make everything smell nicer.

Are there any products I should use specifically on the ED30?

NewGolf

Re: Problems during detailing
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2008, 16:21 »
Wow a lot of questions!

Ok, lets see if I can help matters  :wink: After all your car needs some love and attention!

I take it your flat has windows? Get a bathroom or kitchen tap attachment, and a long enough hose to reach where you clean your car, lower it out of the window, get the missus to power it up and there ya go! .

If for some reason its not possible, you could fit a water butt close by and get it full of water and use a water butt pump to give you a steady stream of water? I used to have the same problem as you as I lived in a flat  :sad:
Its ok to leave suds on the car as long as its not for too long that they dry out. 5 mins is the "dwell time" I leave Megs HyperWash suds on my GTI then wash off with an open ended hose. Failing that, pre fill some watering cans with the "rose" attachments on the end, they are fine to rinse suds off

After washing then clay, dont use the AG vinyl & rubber until the end of your wash routine. (if using it at all!) I'd try another product, there's a lot better stuff out there. Spray the cloth, not the car.

Dont clay more often than twice a year. Its ok to clay the windows, I do twice a year. I use Zaino Z18 clay and Meguiars Last Touch detailing spray watered down 2:1. AG fast glass is ok for your glass.

Alloys. Get some Meguairs Hot Rims. You can get it from the Internet or from eBay. Water it down at least 1:1 as yout get 2 bottles for the price of 1, and its very strong stuff. A few decent squirts, a couple of mins and your alloys should be nice and clean.

Autosol should be all you need on the exhaust if its been wirewooled to a decent shine.

As for the interior, you wont need to do much to the chrome as its plastic coated pieces. Use a dampened microfibre cloth to give the interior a wipe down, then coat it in something like 303 Protectorant or Poorboys Natural Look Dressing.
You can also use the 303 on the exterior plastic trim and in the engine bay. Great product and prevents sun damage.

As for the seats, you can use a dampened MF cloth on them, and if they are really dirty an all purpose cleaner watered down should do the trick.

As for ED30 products, most of your body parts are the same as my GTI, so here's a few decent products you'd appreciate.

Tyres and exterior rubber parts , Zaino Z16
Clay, Zaino Z18 clay bars
Interior and engine bay, 303 Aerospace Protectorant
Wheels, Megs Hot Rims, or Bilberry Safe Wheel Cleaner, Megs Wheel Brightener (US Gallon size and more expensive)
Bodywork. Z2 and if the budget will stretch to it, ZFX. Z8 as a top up after the weekly wash.

If you prefer a Carnuba wax to a sealant, DODO Supernatural or Zym0l Carbon are pretty good. it depends how much you have to spend.

I've tried a lot of products and IMO Zaino is far easier to use and lasts a lot longer as well as looking a lot better.  :wink:

HTH  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 21 September 2008, 20:14 by NewGolf »

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2008, 17:10 »
NewGolf has got everything pretty much covered! :D

I'd mention that you should start with wire wool with your autosol but moved to something less abrasive.

My route is: Wirewool if really bad > green scrubbing pad like you use in the kitchen > normal cloth to finish off.

It's like only using 200 grit sandpaper, expecting a shine, you'll need to use something finer :)

Haha, the bit about having a hose out of the window.. What if he lived in a tower block of flats! :D

NewGolf

« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2008, 18:04 »
NewGolf has got everything pretty much covered! :D

I'd mention that you should start with wire wool with your autosol but moved to something less abrasive.

My route is: Wirewool if really bad > green scrubbing pad like you use in the kitchen > normal cloth to finish off.

It's like only using 200 grit sandpaper, expecting a shine, you'll need to use something finer :)

Haha, the bit about having a hose out of the window.. What if he lived in a tower block of flats! :D

He just needs a longer hose then!  :wink:

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2008, 18:52 »
Thanks for your replies guys. Huge help.

I take it your flat has windows? Get a bathroom or kitchen tap attachment, and a long enough hose to reach where you clean your car, lower it out of the window, get the missus to power it up and there ya go! .

Have thought about it but the kitchen tap (closest to the window and the garage) is a square shape so wouldn't accept a normal hose connection. Ditto for the bathroom.

If for some reason its not possible, you could fit a water butt close by and get it full of water and use a water butt pump to give you a steady stream of water?....pre fill some watering cans with the "rose" attachments on the end
Bit too much hassle methinks. I'm only staying here for one year and no idea where I'll be living next year.

Dont clay more often than twice a year.

I've clayed once now. Was gonna clay again when I bought a the G220 polisher in a coupla weeks/months. Would it be worth claying then? Or is it too soon? Once polished, I wouldn't clay again until spring.
[/quote]

I'll have another go on the exhaust tonight with some wirewool.

What'd be good to get the black soot out of the exhaust? Or should I just stick to cleaning the outside?

NewGolf

« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2008, 20:17 »
Thanks for your replies guys. Huge help.

Have thought about it but the kitchen tap (closest to the window and the garage) is a square shape so wouldn't accept a normal hose connection. Ditto for the bathroom.

If for some reason its not possible, you could fit a water butt close by and get it full of water and use a water butt pump to give you a steady stream of water?....pre fill some watering cans with the "rose" attachments on the end
Bit too much hassle methinks. I'm only staying here for one year and no idea where I'll be living next year.

Dont clay more often than twice a year.

I've clayed once now. Was gonna clay again when I bought a the G220 polisher in a coupla weeks/months. Would it be worth claying then? Or is it too soon? Once polished, I wouldn't clay again until spring.

I'll have another go on the exhaust tonight with some wirewool.

What'd be good to get the black soot out of the exhaust? Or should I just stick to cleaning the outside?

[/quote]

How about one of these....

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-2-2381-1093-hozelock-2274-multi-tap-connector.asp

Purrrrfect!

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2008, 22:10 »
Wow! Looks perfect but damn that site's expensive! Apart from the hose+reel that I'll need, everything else (the connector and spray gun) are half the price at B&Q!!!

NewGolf

« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2008, 07:49 »
Wow! Looks perfect but damn that site's expensive! Apart from the hose+reel that I'll need, everything else (the connector and spray gun) are half the price at B&Q!!!

I guess try B&Q for the tap connector, hoses reel etc, if they stock Hozelock stuff they may have one in stock a lot cheaper then! Sounds like you'll be able to give your ED30 a good washing at home now  :smug:

Plus, when you move, scope out the area to make sure you have potential car detailing areas  :wink: A nice size batcave garage with electric and running water, perfick  :wink:

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2008, 14:24 »
Well, I went and bought the stuff from B&Q today. Couldn't be arsed to give the car a wash since it'd already had one on Sunday. Went over the alloys with Megs Hot Wheels All purpose cleaner (neat), a little scrub, and most of the crap came off. Most of it. There's still some splodges that probably won't come off without claying. Had another go with turtlewax's extreme nano-tech tyre gel. Smells so nice, I actually thought about eating it!

Am waiting for pay at end of october/beginning of November so I can get a polisher and give the car another clean then. Using the hose should definitely halve the time.