Author Topic: Water marks  (Read 2803 times)

Offline sieb

• Not said much yet
Water marks
« on: 19 September 2008, 12:29 »
i got some horrible water marks on my roof, they were there when i bought the car but i didnt notice them until later. anyone got any tips to try get rid of them? the usual polishing, claying and even vinegar :shocked: but nothing gets rid of them.. anyone got any ideas?

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Water marks
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2008, 12:49 »
try megs scratch-x might shift it... failing that get a machine polisher on it...

NewGolf

« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2008, 13:22 »
i got some horrible water marks on my roof, they were there when i bought the car but i didnt notice them until later. anyone got any tips to try get rid of them? the usual polishing, claying and even vinegar :shocked: but nothing gets rid of them.. anyone got any ideas?

Can you post a picture up, and are you sure they are water spots, not bird p00p etches?

Offline sieb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2008, 13:58 »
thanks for the fast replys, il get some pics up when i get off work. if all else fails il just have to get a machine polisher. its definitely not bird poop, the whole roof is covered in small spots

Offline GOLF_STU

• I live here
  • THE_GIT
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2008, 23:27 »
my gf;s brother has got this problem on his mini the megs bloke said its the rain drops magnifying the sun and burning the paint. we got them off eventually but a lot of t-cut and elbow grease  :sad:

fear is temporary, regret lasts forever...
V TEC KICKED IN Y'ALL!!!

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2008, 23:38 »
Funny I only just got water marks when I washed my car. So washed it again and dried with a chamois, it's better, but up close can still see the little buggers. The same marks come out of the glass with glass polish alright, so maybe I need something for the bodywork, all I've got is some wax and shine stuff which just puts another layer on top rather than polishes.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2008, 08:32 »
Funny I only just got water marks when I washed my car. So washed it again and dried with a chamois, it's better, but up close can still see the little buggers. The same marks come out of the glass with glass polish alright, so maybe I need something for the bodywork, all I've got is some wax and shine stuff which just puts another layer on top rather than polishes.

did you clean your car in the sun?  are you in a hard water area?

use a waffle weave and not a chamois as this will dry your car better. don't wash it in the sun or when the body panels are hot.

if you are still suffering with mater marks on your paintwork then give it a claying and they will soon disappear... in fact... clay it anyway if you haven't already!

kells

« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2008, 09:36 »
if its a black car get used to this sort of caper, as said above, the droplets can act as a magnifing glass and play havok with your paint, a polish should remove them, if it didnt id be worried! but im sure it will...

dont wash car when the paint is hot to touch is one thing id never do

Offline green-blood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2008, 11:38 »
dry it asap after washing, especialy the roof and boot/bonnet areas... try using a littel detialing spray - megs last touch for example, this will help. about £16/17 for a USgallon 3.75 lires but it can be diluted down and will last ages

only a light abrasive polish, preferebaly by machine will remove old water marks that have damaged the paint, but as ever prevention is better than cure

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2008, 18:41 »

did you clean your car in the sun?  are you in a hard water area?

use a waffle weave and not a chamois as this will dry your car better. don't wash it in the sun or when the body panels are hot.

if you are still suffering with mater marks on your paintwork then give it a claying and they will soon disappear... in fact... clay it anyway if you haven't already!

No I make sure I never wash it in the sun or when it's hot. So, what exactly is this claying about then?
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car