Author Topic: looking to buy some wax and other detailing products  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: looking to buy some wax and other detailing products
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2008, 17:04 »
got a couple of stone chips on the bonnet  :angry: Whats the best thing to do with them?

personally i would touch them in as leaving them will only encourage contaminants and road salt into the chips and thats where your rust patches start :wink:
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline AnniversaryWul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2008, 19:42 »
Whats the best stuff to use to touch them up? Im new to this detailing game. All my old car got was a wash every week and the odd polish. Got a feeling im startin to head down a slippery slope here haha. Can seeme spendin a lot of time and money on this  :smiley:

Offline OakeyDoak16v

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2008, 23:22 »
Clay it, it doesn't take long and if you do it now it you wont have to do it again till next spring. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 09 September 2008, 23:28 by OakeyDoak16v »

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2008, 00:01 »
Whats the best stuff to use to touch them up? Im new to this detailing game. All my old car got was a wash every week and the odd polish. Got a feeling im startin to head down a slippery slope here haha. Can seeme spendin a lot of time and money on this  :smiley:

get your paint code for your car and go to your local vw dealer and get a touch up stick (wont cost more than a fiver) give your car a good wash,then touch up the chips but dont use the little brush in the lid as there sh1t,get yourself a small fine tip paint brush from an art shop and use that,warm the area your touching up with a hair dryer first,it helps the paint bond to the surface better, once you've touched up all the chips blow the hair dryer over them all to aid the drying and bonding process,leave the car for a week or so for the paint to harden(normally you would leave it about 3 months before touching it with anything but these are only stone chips)
then you can polish/seal/wax :smiley:job done.

detailing is an art and all about technique,you could have the best products money can buy but if your technique is not good then you've wasted your money, practise as much as you can and get as much advise that your ears can take lol, ive been doing this 14yrs now and im still learning new tricks.

Offline AnniversaryWul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2008, 14:57 »
whats the best techniques for doin everythin then? applying in circles? straight lines? up n down? Also what is the best way to buff off?
Should i just clay it once, 1 coat polish, 1 coat sealant and couple coats wax? Let me know  :smiley:
Got my collinite. Was told the coat of this should last up to 6 months, so should i only polish/seal it after the wax is needind completely re done?

Offline green-blood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2008, 15:52 »
For collinite - straight lines is best for me... I'd apply a VERY thin coat, allow to cure, buff off, leave a day or sao, lightly wash/rinse and dry and apply a second VERY thin  coat - 6 monts of winter - DONE

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 11 September 2008, 12:05 »
whats the best techniques for doin everythin then? applying in circles? straight lines? up n down? Also what is the best way to buff off?
Should i just clay it once, 1 coat polish, 1 coat sealant and couple coats wax? Let me know  :smiley:
Got my collinite. Was told the coat of this should last up to 6 months, so should i only polish/seal it after the wax is needind completely re done?

yep!!! polish in circles with a bit of pressure and overlap your circles to ensure you dont miss any patches,check round the car first to spot any light scratches that might need a bit more attention than other bits,

seal: can be put on the same way or in straight lines,as with the polishing overlap to ensure you dont miss any, do two coats of that so you get a good layer on there,i used my poorboys ex-p yesterday on my own car and was very pleased with the result.

waxing in straight lines,go one way then go across it to make sure again that you dont miss a patch leave to cure and buff off, have a break then apply another coat and buff off when cured,

i would highly recomend getting yourself a pack of sonus de wunder buffing towels, its a double sided towel,one side has a short pile microfibre and the other has really soft longer pile microfibre and is amazing for buffing,
buff the majority of the cured wax off shake the cloth to clear it so it does'nt get clogged,fold the towel to form a pillow slightly bigger than your hand and buff quickly with very light pressure the shine will be amazing.

i seal and wax my car weekly but im just fussy,you could polish /seal again when the wax has gone off a bit but i would say if you can seal and wax weekly/monthly it would be better,id only polish again if there are lots of swirls or light scratches.

hope this has made some sort of sense lol im not great at explaining things,im good at detailing though :smiley: 

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 11 September 2008, 13:31 »
thats sounds like a good plan

so

wash
clay
rinse
Super Resin, make sure you work it well in to remove as many swirls/marks as possible
perhaps a second coat where needed
Extra Gloss, this really only bonds well on a surface prepared by Super resin
Leave a day or so and add the 915, apply this very thinly witha damp applicator, allow to cure and buff off, it'll need some elbow work, but the durability is huge... surely get you through the winter, you can top up whenever after a gentle wash. try not to let the car get too dirty as the grit will damage the 915 and then the paint agian.

One point worth remmebering, if you uses SRP again it will strip off the 915 and extra gloss, so do your SRP step really well, protect that finish and keep it protected with WAX.

good luck

SRP isnt a deggrading polish... ie.. the 'granuals' within it don't get smaller the more you work it... if you work this polish too hard you can find that you are imparting swirls  :wink:

kells

« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2008, 13:55 »
SRP is crap on my black car, really terrible, leaves marks, silicolm marks too, as guy said the ones which break down are the best

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 11 September 2008, 19:38 »
SRP is crap on my black car, really terrible, leaves marks, silicolm marks too, as guy said the ones which break down are the best

agree with SRP... used to use it back in the day but there is other stuff out there which imo is so much better now