Author Topic: looking to buy some wax and other detailing products  (Read 5399 times)

Offline AnniversaryWul

• GTI forum regular
looking to buy some wax and other detailing products
« on: 08 September 2008, 16:30 »
Looking to buy some collinite 915 as i heard it is one of the best wax products to use. Where is a good place to buy and what kinda price am i looking at? Also looking for a clay kit and a good quality polish for putting on before the wax. New to the detailing so any info would be great, from tried and tested products. How long should a tin of collinite last also?
Cheers

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Re: looking to buy some wax and other detailing products
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2008, 17:57 »
Coolinite will last loads of applications.

Anyway I use:

Megs Quik Clay
PoorBoys Polish
PoorBoys Natty Blue wax

On a black car and the results are good!

bought from www.performancemotorcare.co.uk(may have to google it because it comes up with their ebay shop, use code GOLFGTI08 to get !5% off!)

Tim

Offline AnniversaryWul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2008, 23:39 »
Right. Gonna buy meguiars easy clay kit, Collonite 915 wax. Polish - unsure whether to go for meguairs step 2. any other good suggestions? poorboys has been mentioned as well. Do u need a sealer or will the wax be sufficient

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2008, 00:44 »
i have a pot of poorboys nattys blue wax,very good product

a pot of rainforest rub and purple haze dodojuice wax both easy to apply and remove.

collinite 845 insulator wax is amazing stuff and well worth getting,its like a gel wax and is perfect for regular weekly/monthly waxing and protects your car up to a year as does the collinite 476 hard wax which requires a bit more elbow grease but the results are very good.

the best way to protect your paint is clay the car first then get it machined by someone who knows what there doing then polish,i use chemical guys ez creme glaze at this stage then chemical guys m-seal or you could try jetseal 109 which is a quality product then wax and the result is a very shiny car that is protected from the elements :grin:

clean and shiney is a good site to order your goodies from
elite car care is another good site
detailing world has everything you could need for detailing,from products to tips on how to do it. hope this helps :wink:

ive been a detailer for 14 years now and the products are getting better and better.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2008, 00:48 by dubplate Dan »
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline AnniversaryWul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2008, 10:17 »
is turtle wax ice a decent polish to use? heard a few people talking bout this?

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2008, 11:03 »
is turtle wax ice a decent polish to use? heard a few people talking bout this?

I'd stick with poorboys or megs or similar

Offline AnniversaryWul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2008, 11:04 »
gonna go with autoglym super resin and extra gloss protection. Halfrauds are doin 3 for 2 on autoglym. these ok? gonna get meguairs clay kit and collinite 915 as well. Hopefully this little lot should do the trick.

Offline green-blood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2008, 12:14 »
thats sounds like a good plan

so

wash
clay
rinse
Super Resin, make sure you work it well in to remove as many swirls/marks as possible
perhaps a second coat where needed
Extra Gloss, this really only bonds well on a surface prepared by Super resin
Leave a day or so and add the 915, apply this very thinly witha damp applicator, allow to cure and buff off, it'll need some elbow work, but the durability is huge... surely get you through the winter, you can top up whenever after a gentle wash. try not to let the car get too dirty as the grit will damage the 915 and then the paint agian.

One point worth remmebering, if you uses SRP again it will strip off the 915 and extra gloss, so do your SRP step really well, protect that finish and keep it protected with WAX.

good luck

Offline AnniversaryWul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2008, 13:46 »
cheers. Just waiting on a dry day lol. bought all the autoglym, just need to get the collinite and the clay now. Dont know if ill clay it till next time tho. Paint is still looking great the now and the water is still beading quite well. Undecided. Just wanna give it a good coat of wax for the winter. got a couple of stone chips on the bonnet  :angry: Whats the best thing to do with them?

Offline green-blood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2008, 15:55 »
if its never been clayed again, do it now... clay and SRP will remove any wax on the car now, so no point holding off to save that!!! Claying is the misisng link, you wont believe how "soft" your paint wil feel

chips - paint 'em or ignore 'em.....

wash, clay, polish, wax and buff.... who'll notice  stone chip with that shine!!!