Author Topic: Insurance companies asking for convictions over the last 5 years? Why?  (Read 5153 times)

jongolfgti

Hi,

Basically im in the market to buy a mk5 GTI, I have a CD10 (undue care and attention) on my licence with 5 points which happened just under 5 years ago.

In the eyes of the law the conviction counts for 3 years, comes off at 4 years so why do insurance companies ask for a 5 year history?

Also is there any companies out there that will only ask for 3-4 years history?

Thanks.

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
This is something that will again vary with insurers. We are a broker so use a variety of different underwriters, some of who as for 3yrs, some for 5, so we always ask for 5 years to be one the safe side.

I think more serious convictions (DR, DD etc) stay on for longer hence why insurers ask.

tbh i doubt a CD conviction from almost 5yrs ago will have much effect on your premium, it wouldnt make any difference with us.

Hope that helps

Martin  :smiley:

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
All convictions only count for 3 years. For a totting up offense, think its past 11 points.
But they stay on your license for 4 years.
Most insurance companies ask for 5 years just as an excuse to grab more money off you!
No offence meant Martin! :grin:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here

farina

All convictions only count for 3 years. For a totting up offense, think its past 11 points.
But they stay on your license for 4 years.
Most insurance companies ask for 5 years just as an excuse to grab more money off you!
No offence meant Martin! :grin:

Big ones like DD and death by careless stay on your licence for 11 years - the others are 4.  Hence the general 5 year question.  Totting is 12+ points within 3 years. See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/EndorsementsAndDisqualifications/DG_4022550

jongolfgti

thanks for the advice guys, I rang the company that insure all my family, got discount and the cd conviction didnt really affect it, where as some companies it did. Got my quote and happy with it, now to decide on my car. Thanks again.