Author Topic: For those of you with Blind Spot (Side) Assist  (Read 5795 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: For those of you with Blind Spot (Side) Assist
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2019, 11:59 »
Excellent news that blind spot assist can be retro fitted as I bought a pre reg GTI in April and I miss it (had it on Ford Focus). kmpowell - can I ask what the cost of the kit if supplied by VW is?
Thanks
Like you, I miss it from my previous car, it makes motorway driving so much easier, particularly when it's busy.

They've not come back to me with an total price yet, but they said that if I can get the part numbers needed, then indicatively it should be 2-3hrs labour on top of the part cost, which includes the coding required. I'm prepared to pay up to £800 max for this I think.

Jesus christ, £800 to save turning your head? ETTO
£800 to save sideswiping a car on the very long journey I do several times a month.

£800 that could be saved by just being vigilant  :whistle:

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2019, 12:04 »
Excellent news that blind spot assist can be retro fitted as I bought a pre reg GTI in April and I miss it (had it on Ford Focus). kmpowell - can I ask what the cost of the kit if supplied by VW is?
Thanks
Like you, I miss it from my previous car, it makes motorway driving so much easier, particularly when it's busy.

They've not come back to me with an total price yet, but they said that if I can get the part numbers needed, then indicatively it should be 2-3hrs labour on top of the part cost, which includes the coding required. I'm prepared to pay up to £800 max for this I think.

Jesus christ, £800 to save turning your head? ETTO
£800 to save sideswiping a car on the very long journey I do several times a month.

£800 that could be saved by just being vigilant  :whistle:
Or I could spend my money how I wish?
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2019, 12:26 »
Sure you can! :) Just really threw me out when you said £800. If you'd said £300 I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

FWIW, I still wouldn't spend £300 on it but I can see why someone would

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2019, 12:30 »
Sure you can! :) Just really threw me out when you said £800. If you'd said £300 I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

FWIW, I still wouldn't spend £300 on it but I can see why someone would
£800 for 12000 miles year, where 70-80% of those miles are spent on very busy motorways doing very long & tiring journeys and every bit of assistance is really useful. It's pennies in the grand scheme of things.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2019, 12:57 »
Get my popcorn out for this one!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2019, 12:58 »
Out of interest, do you rely on this tech, or do you double check your blind spots how you are supposed to as well? What would happen in the event of a tech glitch and you being involved in an accident because you hadn't looked?

As for the price, that's subjective of course, but to me, it's hardly pennies. 12,000 miles a year is not that many either. I do more than that on my bicycle.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 19 June 2019, 18:31 »
Maybe my question was too hard  :whistle:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2019, 19:05 »
Is it standard on the TCR? Did the dealer offer you a TCR for no extra? Man maths kicking in  :grin:
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 19 June 2019, 19:37 »
I wouldn't be wasting 800 quid on blind spot. I'm with dubber on this one and lane assist is the same. If you need something to tell you you've drifted out of your lane then it's time to either pull over for a nap or stop driving all together. 🤷‍♂️
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 19 June 2019, 23:09 »
I wouldn't be wasting 800 quid on blind spot. I'm with dubber on this one and lane assist is the same. If you need something to tell you you've drifted out of your lane then it's time to either pull over for a nap or stop driving all together. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with you.

We added it as it was about £500 or so for the package of both lane assist, blind spot and traffic sign recognition. Quite a lot of the journey my wife does involves roadworks where they're constantly changing posted limits and have camera enforcement throughout. It would be easy to miss a limit change when you're negotiating narrow lanes and dealing with the volume of large trucks. It's more validation than delegating responsibility.

Must say though, the lane assist does apply some resistance to the steering wheel. Reminded me of the old days before power steering!
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR