Author Topic: Parking Brake Question?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
Parking Brake Question?
« on: 14 June 2019, 20:56 »
Has anyone experienced the electric parking brake coming on when they are reversing without their seatbelt on?  I'm taking about reversing into their garage or similar.
Thanks

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Parking Brake Question?
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2019, 21:00 »
You will get manoeuvre braking if the sensors think you are going to hit something while reversing. Is this what you mean?
7.5 GTD

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2019, 21:06 »
Not sure, it's happened to me twice so far. Same situation both times. Reversing into my garage, it's a tight squeeze, without seat belt on. First time I thought I had hit something, but not that then I thought it had slipped out of gear, but thinking about it i wondered if it could be the electric brake activating. Never had it happen in normal reversing situation with seatbelt on. Also it from doesn't happen everytime I reverse into the garage so maybe it's a slight speed difference that activates it.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2019, 21:24 »
Manoeuvre braking can be quite abrupt. I've had it activate a few times, the first time I thought i'd hit something as it was so sharp and sudden. But as far as I can recall it will activate whether you are wearing your seatbelt or not. If you're getting lots of bleeps from the parking sensors while manoeuvring then i'd say it's probably that, as i've had no problem moving my car without my seatbelt on. It's when you try driving with the door open that it doesn't like.
7.5 GTD

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2019, 21:37 »
Cheers for that, yes you could be right. The sensors go crazy when reversing into my garage as it's a tight squeeze. It doesn't always do the braking thing but it could be a case that sometimes I'm closer to objects than others & the manovering breaking kicks in. It's certainly a sharp jolt so sounds like your description. I think a red warning of some kind pops up on the central display but I've not been quick enough to see what it said yet.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2019, 07:30 »
From Car magazine long term review 2015-
“The only glitch I did encounter was with the electric handbrake – it kept applying itself, unexpectedly, in reverse. Turns out it was because I have this absent-minded habit of popping my seatbelt off to look over my shoulder – the car notices, and thinks it’s dangerous.”

You’ll just have to keep your seatbelt on!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2019, 07:35 »
You can code this feature out with OBD11, Vag.com etc... So that you can reverse without the hand brake frustrating proceedings.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2019, 07:47 »
My 7.5 did this when reversing into my garage - even with seatbelt on.  I find switching off autohold fixes it.  I also have disabled manoeuvre parking in the options.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2019, 09:16 »
Cheers guys, that's put my mind at rest.