Author Topic: Golf GTI MK7.5 Performance vs SEAT leon cupra 300  (Read 7170 times)

Offline carbonevo

• Just got here
Hey Guys,
I guess this has been discussed here before but I did not find much of results to satisfy all the questions I have, sorry for opening a new thread.

I'd like your opinion on both cars as I've been struggling with this dilemma for a couple of weeks now.
I am deciding between two cars; the first a 11/2017 golf gti PP and second 2/2018 seat leon cupra, golf is 1k cheaper, both 15k miles.
My main comparison points: The power, exterior, interior, depreciation, reliability.
Having test driven both cars I noticed:

1- In terms of power, the cupra is sharper and pulls stronger but not like with a HUGE difference, it is quicker undoubtedly but not dramatically, the golf is quick, the cupra is even quicker (pushes you harder in your seat when flooring)
however the problem with the cupra is that unless the road conditions are flawless it is not able to put down all the power, the 300+ hp is just too much on the front wheels, even the golf sometimes struggled to find traction on a wet road however the cupra is much much worse when the conditions are not ideal. Any one driven both? what are your thoughts?

2- Exterior: Cupra dark blue, golf metalic grey. I like the cupra MUCH more, period. 

3- Interior: Here's my biggest problem, I had test driven the cupra a couple of weeks earlier than the golf which I tested yesterday, when reading the internet, literally everybody said the golf is a much better place to sit in in terms of both quality and looks. I did not understand this as I found the cupra from inside just beautiful, simple minimalistic looks, a bit boring but with gorgeous alcantara bucket seats and nice digital cockpit, only the plastics were hard and felt cheap. Still yet I could not understand why everybody likes the golf more, I don't care about the badges whether it's a VW or SEAT.
BUT all that changed yesterday, I never sat in a GTI golf and my first impression was "omg now I understand". I was literally taken how beautiful the golf's interior is, pictures and even videos simply won't show you the difference unless you sat in both cars, literally everything felt nicer and more premuim in the golf, even the cloth seats seemed nicer, can't really describe why, maybe that's why I did not understand those who liked the GTI more, but now I admit the GTI is the nicer place to sit in which is more important to me than the exterior.
Also the digital cockpit and infotainment is a league ahead compared to the cupra, which felt a bit outdated.

4- Depreciation: I'm buying both cars cash, the golf is 1k cheaper. Is still the case that VW cars hold their value better than seat?

5- Reliability: I simply can't comment on this, I understand both cars share alot of components, but not sure how is with the reliability with both cars, any one with experience with both cars?

I'd appreciate your thoughts guys!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Golf GTI MK7.5 Performance vs SEAT leon cupra 300
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2019, 12:13 »
Someone else had the same discussion  :smiley:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=284896.0

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2019, 12:31 »
Sounds like you've made your mind up, just look around for a dark blue GTI P? Plenty out there!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2019, 12:39 »
Nice place to be or more power on paper?

Your friends will bore of you shouting "300bhp" long before you get rid of the car and realistically day to day it makes zero difference (except possibly making you a bigger target for thieves and your insurance go up), whereas the nicer place to be will be there for its entire life with you.

Go with the Golf.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline carbonevo

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2019, 12:46 »
Nice place to be or more power on paper?

Your friends will bore of you shouting "300bhp" long before you get rid of the car and realistically day to day it makes zero difference (except possibly making you a bigger target for thieves and your insurance go up), whereas the nicer place to be will be there for its entire life with you.

Go with the Golf.

cheers mate, I admit the "stronger pull" on the cupra is really addictive but the conditions must be really great, which most of the time they simply won't.
Also, I forgot to mention the sound on the cupra is way better compared to the GTI, but it's not as important to me as the interior.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2019, 13:23 »
I echo some of your points there - the Golf cabin is very good for it's position in the VAG group range. The A3 interior feels even better quality, but I just prefer the looks of the Golf. For me, the Leon cabin reminds me too much of the (even plainer) Skoda cabins.

Exterior is purely down to taste - I can see that the Leon would appeal to younger buyers than the Golf, it's that bit edgier and sharper. I could happily live with either.

Power - In essence, the Leon has 20% more power. The difference between the 2 (and the GTI and R) is the GTI engine feels that bit more urgent in the low - midrange due to the smaller turbo. It just runs out of puff higher up in the range in comparison but how often are you wringing it's neck up at 5000+ RPM? An alternative is to remap to stage 1 (or tuning box) the GTI for a similar amount of power as the Leon if you miss it that much. Obviously warranty then becomes an issue.

Golf will more than likely hold it's value better.

Only issue I've had on my (2014) GTI PP has been a water pump done under warranty. Not sure if any parts have been updated on the pump, but it seems fairly common (and also, common to most EA888 engines)

Hope that helps
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2019, 16:20 »
Oh and I should have added.... its a Golf GTI.

Everyone knows what a Golf GTI is, besides actually being good, its actually a legend in its own lifetime.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2019, 17:16 »
As the Golf is £1k cheaper despite being only 3 months older, i'd say go with the Golf GTi.

The main appeal of the Leon Cupra over the Golf GTi is that you get more for less. But if the Leon isn't less, it's not quite as appealing as the Golf is the more rounded package. If you were buying new, the Cupra is a good bit cheaper and would make more sense.
7.5 GTD

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2019, 13:38 »
It’s like that VW advert a couple of years ago ‘just like a Golf’

No brainer IMO - get the GTI - at least it will avoid the possibility of saying ‘it has the same XX as a GTI’

I (very briefly) considered a new Cupra before I ordered the Golf - soooo glad I didn’t go down that route
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline carbonevo

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2019, 14:13 »
Cheers guys, really appreciate your comments!

In general, how quick do you see the golf? I am aware it's not the hottest hot hatch out there but coming from a 2008 lexus IS250 the golf seemed really really quick, the cupra was quicker but it struggled to put down the power.