Author Topic: Wheel Colour Change - Help Required!  (Read 4682 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Wheel Colour Change - Help Required!
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2019, 21:44 »
Silver gets my vote.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2019, 22:17 »
Why not use two colours so as not to lose the design? A tungsten spoke on a black wheel?

The CS wheels feature silver spokes on a black dish.

The two colour look is almost always achieved with a diamond cut finish - the Clubsport’s Belvedere alloys are diamond cut.

For a wheel refurb company to achieve a two colour painted / powder coated look rather than using the diamond cutting process would probably be expensive. Once the wheel has been painted/ powder coated in the first colour, it would be necessary to very carefully mask off those areas that are to remain the first colour before applying the second colour to get a diamond cut look. The masking up of the wheel would need to be very accurate to get a good end result, so would probably be quite time consuming - and time costs money.

IMO, wheels with wide spokes like Austins fitted to the mk7 GTI don’t tend to look good in a single dark colour. An option the OP could consider is to get their wheels refurbished in a dark colour and then get the face of the spokes vinyl wrapped in a chrome or silver coloured vinyl. That way, it would be possible to achieve the two tone look similar to the original OEM diamond cut finish without the issue of white worm corrosion.

I can't see vinyl wrapping working very well on wheels on a daily driver

That’s s fair point. There are on line retailers that sell vinyl overlays for the spokes on VW Austin alloys though - Badgeskins sell them, but only in black - to apply over the existing diamond cut surface. Link;

https://www.badgeskins.com/store/p168/VW_-_18%22_Austin_Wheel_badgeskin_set.html
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2019, 22:22 »
Thanks all, much appreciated.

I think you have talked me out of a dark colour. I need to see the tungsten colour again, silver also an option.  I seem to think the Canadian market got solid silver Austin’s from factory rather than diamond cut due to the salty roads? 

I do agree the Austin design (wide spokes) is not the best design in a dark single colour.

I have 36 hours to decide, tick tock...
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 11 June 2019, 22:39 »

I think you have talked me out of a dark colour. I need to see the tungsten colour again, silver also an option.  I seem to think the Canadian market got solid silver Austin’s from factory rather than diamond cut due to the salty roads? 

I do agree the Austin design (wide spokes) is not the best design in a dark single colour.

I've had nearly every colour you can get over the years from candy red to sparkle silver to Kawasaki green due to a mate being a powdercoater and the silver always makes them look better in my opinion

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 11 June 2019, 22:45 »

I seem to remember that in some markets, the standard wheels on the GTI were a 17” five spoke silver painted / powder coated alloy (Brooklyn) that was very similar in design to the 18” diamond cut Austin alloys.

If you do a google search on the part number (5G0601025AR), you’ll find lots of pictures of the Brooklyn’s, that’ll give you a good idea of what your Austin’s will look like if you have them refurbished in a silver / lighter colour.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 11 June 2019, 22:59 »

I seem to remember that in some markets, the standard wheels on the GTI were a 17” five spoke silver painted / powder coated alloy (Brooklyn) that was very similar in design to the 18” diamond cut Austin alloys.

If you do a google search on the part number (5G0601025AR), you’ll find lots of pictures of the Brooklyn’s, that’ll give you a good idea of what your Austin’s will look like if you have them refurbished in a silver / lighter colour.

Thanks, useful

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 12 June 2019, 08:58 »
Shadow chrome would be my vote.

Not Austin but this should give you an idea.

Found them via a google search on an old Mk5 thread - https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=726.0

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2019, 09:03 »
Thanks all for your input on colour.

I went with silver (powder coated) in the end - boring yes, unexciting yes, but it suits the car colour and looks fairly oem.  The wheels have lost some of their 'mojo', but they look a lot better than flaking lacquer and white worn.

I'll try and throw up a photo at some point in case it helps someone else in the future.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 14 June 2019, 16:34 »
Silver is good.
Easy and cheap to repair too when the time comes.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner