Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245622 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #770 on: 19 June 2019, 15:50 »
Obviously I don’t have a crystal ball and much of the “tech for tech’s sake” has been discussed to death in the mk8 thread, but looking at the main rivals for the mk8 GTI/R then dynamically they’ve not moved the game on despite being recently released models (A class and 1 series). The insides are much of a muchness with screens and option packs to make the screens even more like an XBOX fest so people can spend even less time concentrating on the actual job in hand - driving!
With the mk8 we will get 1 series and A Class rivalling screens surrounding us and full cinema mode in all of the options are ticked. All lovely and embraced by many on here I’m sure who will deem it all “essential”.
The success of the Mk7 R has made it such that instead of a middle ground super competent Golf R versus an expensive A45 or a charismatic M140i being massively different in character, all our choices will be circa 300bhp 4WD tech fests at the upper end of the performance 4cyl hatch bracket, with the proper hot hatches (FWD) being similar variations on a theme with less power and off the line traction (Focus ST, Golf GTI, i30N, Civic). It’ll actually be the FWD hatches that will be more diverse in character. And I’m glad of that, I’d swap fun for a few BHP.

Point being the TCR and Ed40 (plus of course the CSS in a much greater sense) are limited run cars for enthusiasts so I think the tech on these cars (which dates so quickly anyway, even the new VW i car thingies seem to be named like iPhones to demonstrate how quickly the tech moves on) will be less important down the line when owned as second or third cars by GTI enthusiasts, but the tech on them is quite sufficient right now and the Golf seems to be in good demand still.
Maybe it’s just as likely the prevalence of SUV’s and the incoming i type electric cars will mean the venerable old Golf platform itself will soon be seen as archaic.

Colleague sold on his GTI a while back, a MK 6 Candy White 3 Door with them lovely Glendale alloy and I think I was more upset than him, as loved that car, it was still a really nice place to sit despite the supposed ageing tech.

And so If not in position to drive the newer versions then I would happily go back in time for a clean low mileage version of a MK 6 GTI (ED35) as it may not be on the cutting edge of the MQB drive or the tech, it will however still genuinely fit all I truly need.

Its an attitude might take to the TCR, if it's a good un, it might be my first keeper as seek to avoid the upcoming move to characterless interior.

Personally think that anyone who is at the timing for a change avoids the MK 8 and waits on some of the deals that will come with the outgoing MK 7 as you likely get a real bargain.

Will reference one customer with cash they might alienate and thats the senior citizen as my father in law struggles with the basic tech on his Polo so these screens and menus will really confuse some of a certain age (of course the generations will catch up to the tech)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #771 on: 19 June 2019, 23:06 »
Picking mine up this Friday from Joe at TL Darby. It has nearly finished being detailed and ceramic coated (not VW) by MVS valeting local to the dealership. Lots of great pics and updates. Bit annoyed with VW adding the £3k nice sounding exhaust. But hey ho.

(Can’t see how to add pictures here, I don’t use a pc)
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #772 on: 19 June 2019, 23:15 »
Picking mine up this Friday from Joe at TL Darby. It has nearly finished being detailed and ceramic coated (not VW) by MVS valeting local to the dealership. Lots of great pics and updates. Bit annoyed with VW adding the £3k nice sounding exhaust. But hey ho.

Great news. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

If you want to post pictures, use something like https://imgbb.com/ to host and paste the address into the post.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #773 on: 20 June 2019, 09:43 »

Great news. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

If you want to post pictures, use something like https://imgbb.com/ to host and paste the address into the post.

Or https://postimages.org/ is very simple.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Fizzer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #774 on: 20 June 2019, 12:42 »

Picking mine up from Joe (excellent service so far) at TL Darby on Saturday.
Looking forward to comparing it against previous Golfs (R-Mk7) and GTI (230 Mk7.5).
TCR 3dr white performance pack

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #775 on: 20 June 2019, 18:44 »
Colleague sold on his GTI a while back, a MK 6 Candy White 3 Door with them lovely Glendale alloy and I think I was more upset than him, as loved that car, it was still a really nice place to sit despite the supposed ageing tech.

And so If not in position to drive the newer versions then I would happily go back in time for a clean low mileage version of a MK 6 GTI (ED35) as it may not be on the cutting edge of the MQB drive or the tech, it will however still genuinely fit all I truly need.

Its an attitude might take to the TCR, if it's a good un, it might be my first keeper as seek to avoid the upcoming move to characterless interior.

Personally think that anyone who is at the timing for a change avoids the MK 8 and waits on some of the deals that will come with the outgoing MK 7 as you likely get a real bargain.

Will reference one customer with cash they might alienate and thats the senior citizen as my father in law struggles with the basic tech on his Polo so these screens and menus will really confuse some of a certain age (of course the generations will catch up to the tech)

I support your ED35 idea!

VW are still supporting older cars, with enough money can have one of these OEM units, which does most things compared to the MK7

https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/products/volkswagen-retrofits/volkswagen-discover-media-mib2/
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #776 on: 21 June 2019, 09:17 »

Thats #2 on the forum landing :) Looking forward to the photos :)

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #777 on: 21 June 2019, 09:18 »

I support your ED35 idea!

VW are still supporting older cars, with enough money can have one of these OEM units, which does most things compared to the MK7

https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/products/volkswagen-retrofits/volkswagen-discover-media-mib2/

If found a really good one and wanted to invest a little ££ thats a great refresh of the central feature :)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #778 on: 21 June 2019, 09:20 »

Picking mine up from Joe (excellent service so far) at TL Darby on Saturday.
Looking forward to comparing it against previous Golfs (R-Mk7) and GTI (230 Mk7.5).

Ok, #3 landing at same time, - be interesting to see your view in comparison to the R as thats my change.

Obviously photos are a must!

Offline sh3lldon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #779 on: 21 June 2019, 10:19 »
The more time I spend with the car the more I am enjoying it very practical and comfortable but also very capable looking forward to giving it a good blast over the weekend to really see what it can do, 500 miles on the clock now taking it easy (most of the time) and moving through the rev range regularly.

The cabin is a great place to be I have a 700 mile round trip next weekend which I am looking forward to.