Author Topic: Oil n water Dont Mix  (Read 2536 times)

Offline dbgud

• Just got here
Oil n water Dont Mix
« on: 15 August 2011, 08:39 »
I have had my Golf GTI 8V for 3 months now, bought her dead cheap as wiring was all burnt out, this was all rewired and completed within 2 weeks and car was running great. now all of a sudden i have oil in the header tank, n lots of it. head gasket has been done, temp reading 90, any ideas? car has an ADY engine code?

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
Re: Oil n water Dont Mix
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2011, 11:17 »
Oil cooler. Easy way to check is bypass the coolant by fitting a couple of 90 degree elbows between the inlet and outlet hose. Dump all the coolant, and refill. If no water reappears, then the oil cooler is foobared.

Offline dbgud

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2011, 11:41 »
  I shall give that a try, this may sound stupid but im not much of a DIY machanic, where will i be looking for the water? plus if this is the fault is it expensive and/or difficult to sort?

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2011, 11:46 »
Sorry its my bad, meant to say "If no oil reappears in the bottle"

Its not too bad to do, its quite a common failure, especially on mk2s.

Offline dbgud

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2011, 11:51 »
Just another quick dumb question, do u mean the inlet n outlet from the engine? also where is the Oil Cooler found?

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2011, 12:13 »
I'd either get yourself a good quality manual e.g. Haynes or Bentley, or go to a mechanic you trust.

The oil cooler is a silver part of the front of the engine that the oil filter is attached to.
I mean the inlet and outlet on the oil cooler itself. I think its just rubber hose that supplies the water, so its easy to bypass.

Bear in mind if it is buggered, theres going to be loads of oil pour out.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2011, 13:53 »
Oil cooler is a common failure

Offline dbgud

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2011, 14:33 »
hi there, done the oil cooler check you mentioned and now replaced that with a brand new one, car was running fine for bout an hour, now i have smoke coming from the head, smells like oil is burning and the car cut itself out? any ideas as this is really pee in me off?