Author Topic: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!  (Read 97255 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!
« Reply #50 on: 01 November 2010, 17:23 »
cor.... close call you can just save that if you do it now!

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 01 November 2010, 17:33 »
Tell me about it mate the new boot carpet got wet, but it was such a slow drip never spoted it, knew about the number plate. But not the plinth!
 I've ordered £10 of gaskets from VAG for the reg lights and new tapping brackets. I'll drill out the rusted bolts and thinking about painting the whole reg area what shall I do take the boot off or just do it in situ?
My worry is I need one clear day to enable me to get it off and paint it, but unless I get the car cover over it water is going in the boot for sure! I'm sure I'll get less runs whilst its off?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #52 on: 01 November 2010, 17:57 »
Tell me about it mate the new boot carpet got wet, but it was such a slow drip never spoted it, knew about the number plate. But not the plinth!
 I've ordered £10 of gaskets from VAG for the reg lights and new tapping brackets. I'll drill out the rusted bolts and thinking about painting the whole reg area what shall I do take the boot off or just do it in situ?
My worry is I need one clear day to enable me to get it off and paint it, but unless I get the car cover over it water is going in the boot for sure! I'm sure I'll get less runs whilst its off?

IMO do it off the car for sure.... I know its a pain but the amount you would have to cover up to reduce the risk of airborn over spray you'd probably save time!  I've had a painting disaster and will be posted in my thread in a few minutes....  an old hair dryer saved me!  :lipsrsealed:

Also if you need to cover the boot in the mean time, plastic sheet or tarpaulin taped over the whole lot might do the trick.  :smiley:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 01 November 2010, 18:01 »

IMO do it off the car for sure.... I know its a pain but the amount you would have to cover up to reduce the risk of airborn over spray you'd probably save time!  I've had a painting disaster and will be posted in my thread in a few minutes....  an old hair dryer saved me!  :lipsrsealed:

Also if you need to cover the boot in the mean time, plastic sheet or tarpaulin taped over the whole lot might do the trick.  :smiley:

Yes mate being lazy thats all!
I'll give the car a quick wash so I can get the cover over ontop of the sheet just incase!
I've covered the plinth holes at the moment with water proof tape hope it holds for now!
I'll take a look at your issues mate sounds like alot of pain to me? 

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #54 on: 01 November 2010, 18:46 »
Yeah I know what you mean..... when laziness kicks in for big jobs I end up doing lots of other jobs until they run out!... which is kind of where I'm at now and i'm paying the price!.... the little jobs could have waited while the weather was warmer!

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 01 November 2010, 18:48 »
Haaa just discussed that in your thread mate Booth, heaters, & clean environment = good results (I hope)

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #56 on: 03 November 2010, 10:27 »
i hate bodywork. it gets way of the fun.

i would be tempted to paint on the car - minimises the risk of damaging something further when i inevitably trip over a dog and throw the boot through the roof ot something.

a bit clumsy me.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 03 November 2010, 10:45 »
True but its at such an angle mainly inside rust which worries me. that it should be taken off.
I'm more worried about water coming in once I remove the boot. Its set me back a tad, but if water wasn't dripping in I would never have known about the hidden rust behind the tail gate! TBH if I was keeping the car I would have spent about 1K on a full respray. But doing that and selling it which I might still do, it does not make any difference to the final asking price IMO.
Winter is here so not sure if I'm just going to concentrate on the body work so the egerness to drive it now has really gone at the mo!  :sad:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 03 November 2010, 15:14 »
Well I de rusted those patches and bare in mind I don't do spray work at all! I have done the odd bits and pieces but allways leave it to the Pros. My judgement on this is that the section can be masked off and dealt with as the plinth and reg will cover most of the work, but priority is to stop the rust.
The progress so far, but its too cold and wet to even filler any imperfections on the metal. I need one good morning and get cracking on to it! I think water is still getting in from the window wiper mount or the water jet, still found residue water droplets this morning, and I taped up every exposed hole? :undecided:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #59 on: 03 November 2010, 16:11 »
Looks ok though  :smiley: I only noticed 2 little holes that shouldn't be there

where is the water resting when its in the car