Author Topic: when is it safe???  (Read 1816 times)

Offline 0770rich

• Not said much yet
when is it safe???
« on: 29 September 2010, 09:49 »
Planing on giving the car abit of tlc this weekend. wash, clay,wash,srp then ag hd wax. will give it 2layers of the ag products.

My question is at what point is it safe to leave the car overnight if i run out of time or the weather gets so bad i can't continue? Also how long would it be safe to leave it at this stage?

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: when is it safe???
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2010, 14:35 »
once you've polished id strongly recomend getting some form of protection on there as soon as possible really or your paint is open to the elements, a day or two wont do any harm so no pannic if you dont manage to get it all done but if left any longer then your proberly better off starting from scratch.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2010, 15:16 »
you could always do a panel/section at a time

eg... bonnet... clay, pol, seal & wax... and then move onto the roof... or the sides...

that way, if you have to stop for dinner or it looks like rain is going to stop play then it doesn't matter where you get to until the next time (within reason)

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2010, 21:53 »
If you stop at any point and leave it over night, i'd suggest you give it another quick wash in the morning before carrying on. You don't want dust settling on the car overnight and then go and start polishing or waxing before removing it.

Offline 0770rich

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2010, 23:01 »
some great ideas/ sugestions there. thanks :grin:

if i was to leave it with one layer of srp on overnite would washing the car the next morning take of this layer?
i;am using zymol shampoo atm would it be best to use less shampoo in same amount of water?

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2010, 07:26 »
If you were just polishing it then you would be fine, however SRP is very filler heavy and leaves some product on the car to hide/mask the swirl marks, and for this reason then yes you would probably remove most of this by washing without any protection over the top.

After claying, see how much time you have got left, if you have time to polish and seal then carry on, if not then just wait till the next day.