Author Topic: Start / Stop no longer works  (Read 1223 times)

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
Start / Stop no longer works
« on: 28 February 2019, 13:11 »
So the Golf R Start/stop no longer engages and in the car status screen it constantly shows High Power Consumption as being the reason. I booked it into VW to check and they found no fault and reckoned that it engaged every time when they took the car out for a test. Its not worked for me for several months now and nothing since being at the garage. I have tested by having wing mirror demist off, fans off, infotainment off... all sorts but nothing engages it.

I did read a post somewhere stating this could be a vacuum sensor but would expect VW to know about this to check it and I'm not sure I believe them when they said it worked every time for them.

Any advice as to what could be causing this would be much appreciated?
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Start / Stop no longer works
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2019, 13:28 »
I’d noticed mine wasn’t working of late, also a manual car and put it down to the colder weather and the battery not holding sufficient charge.
I did have a glance around whilst sat at a very long traffic light change to see what might be causing it. I put it down to the heater being on because of the cooler external temperatures and also noticed that I’d left my wing mirrors on heated mode as we’d been having a lot of fog down this way of late. Both were probably enough drain on the battery for it not to engage stop/start.
Check your wing mirror control position!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2019, 14:57 »
Yeah I always leave my wing mirror on the demist setting, I turned the nob to another setting to see if that helped but nothing. The car is set up and driven the same way now as it was the first 2 years having it where Start/Stop always worked. It just suddenly stopped last year at some point. To be honest I didn't notice it to begin with and then when flicking through the car information I saw the message and now I cannot stop thinking about it not engaging

Its the fact VW said it worked for them thats bothering me as well and without changing anything on the car so all settings were the same as I had left them.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2019, 16:02 »
Surely the fact it doesn't work is a good thing?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2019, 16:05 »
Mine has been doing that recently (2 year old car) probably because I do short journeys and due to cold weather. If I charge the battery fully (CTEC charger/conditioner) or I do a long run, it starts working again. I have read several other reports to the same effect so it seems a "normal" situation.
I suggest you try charging the battery fully and see if that cures the problem.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2019, 16:47 »
Surely the fact it doesn't work is a good thing?

Ha ha, when i first got the GTD before the R I hated start stop but got used to it and now its more about whether there is a fault.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2019, 16:48 »
This maybe:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=284590.0

Cheers for that... Battery could well be a culprit, still don't know why it would work for VW, I'm assuming they saw no fault and made up it was working. will get the battery tested to see what charge it has.