Author Topic: SAT NAV  (Read 3762 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: SAT NAV
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2019, 07:40 »
Dose it really take 4 hours to update the latest map download onto the cars satnav system?

Pretty much yes with NavPro.

Couple of hours to download the data (even on very fast internet), a good hour to write it to a card and another hour plus for the thing to update in the car.

Not that you need to sit and watch most of that though...

You could try and download the map updates over wifi (from your house!) from the car itself using carnet.... I've tried this and never got it to work and you don't get any idea of progress. Don't bother.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

steve12345

« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2019, 07:43 »
I was referring to the time it takes to update in the car, not the download time. The instructions on VW site suggest you need to have the ignition on for up to four hours while the map updates onto the system.

We have pro nav however it’s 2014 car so might not be as slick as the latest models

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2019, 08:57 »
I had a 2014 GTD with NavPro.

The update time was not really an issue, just leave it updating. It will continue when you restart the car.

You don't need to leave the ignition on... I made that mistake the first time I did it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 27 February 2019, 09:35 »
I don't use it much but on the few times I have it has been pretty poor. Generally I'll make my own notes from a map to get me 95% to where I want to be and let the nav assist for the last bit (which is usually the tricky part). If I have my co-pilot on board, we'll rely more on her iphone which does seem to be a lot better. I often find the in-built nav will tell you which lane or which exit too late to be of much help. It doesn't do my blood pressure any good :rolleyes:

You do crack me up Watts! Make notes from a map... What with, some chalk and a slate?!  :grin:

I normally look at a new journey prior to setting off and stick the car nav on as a guide to help once I get close. The VW system isn't great and sometimes tries to send you on a ridiculous route. Recently tried to send me through a camera controlled bus only zone in Manchester and then a few weeks later told me to go down a one way street, the wrong way. Explains a lot of the idiotic driving you see when the lemmings use their nav for every journey...
« Last Edit: 27 February 2019, 09:39 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 27 February 2019, 09:45 »
The built in sat nav isn't the most sophisticated, but it always gets me where i need to go to. Using Car Play or Android Auto isn't without its drawbacks;-

You can't run Google Maps or similar in the active info display.

You can't have two mobile phones connected at the same time as App Connect is running. Not a big deal to some, but I have my personal and work phones connected while commuting.

You can't listen to music through anything connected via the aux while App Connect is running. I have an 80gb iPod Classic connected.

App Connect isn't wireless. You have to take your phone out of your pocket each time to connect it to the car. And then remember to disconnect it again when you've finished.

On balance, i'll stick with the built in nav, at least until App Connect becomes a bit more advanced.
Slightly ironic that you won't use ACP because you still want to use a 10+yr technological device over a protocol that makes betamax look modern. You're going to be waiting a long time for them to allow that, perhaps they could drop you a fax when they do...  :wink:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 27 February 2019, 12:44 »
Think what Guzzle is saying is that he is using the available technology in the way most convenient to him. I do pretty much the same, except for having my music on an SD card.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 27 February 2019, 12:51 »
Think what Guzzle is saying is that he is using the available technology in the way most convenient to him. I do pretty much the same, except for having my music on an SD card.
I don't disagree with that, each person has their own convenience... but it's how that person keeps up with technology v convenience. The 'physical' media format is dead, wether that be a HDD/SD/CD/DVD etc, the now (and future) is streaming via Apps, so that's what you'll get with ACP/AA etc. Apple/Google are not going to invest in making their software compatible with formats/ecosystems that have no compatibility or are dead, they simply provide an alternative which is equal or better. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 27 February 2019, 14:17 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 27 February 2019, 13:04 »
You do crack me up Watts! Make notes from a map... What with, some chalk and a slate?!  :grin:

I normally look at a new journey prior to setting off and stick the car nav on as a guide to help once I get close. The VW system isn't great and sometimes tries to send you on a ridiculous route. Recently tried to send me through a camera controlled bus only zone in Manchester and then a few weeks later told me to go down a one way street, the wrong way. Explains a lot of the idiotic driving you see when the lemmings use their nav for every journey...

Chalk and a slate? Now that is a good idea, enviromentally friendly definitely :whistle: :laugh:

Once when we were stuck in traffic on the A31 in the New Forest, the dumbass nav twice wanted me to take a left to avoid the traffic - onto laybys, then twice more it wanted me to turn off onto rough tracks into the forest that even a murderer with a corpse to dispose would've thought twice of taking :rolleyes: Considering how little I use it, there have been far too many of these stupid directions for them to be considered a rare glitch. Technology my arse. Having said that, my co-pilot's iphone directions were spot on when negotiating our way into Lille once to drop off our hire car, god only knows where we would have ended up if we were relying on the VW nav...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 27 February 2019, 14:24 »
I assume she was using Google maps on her Iphone and not Apple Maps which is so famously terrible for its ability to get anything right!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 27 February 2019, 14:53 »
I assume she was using Google maps on her Iphone and not Apple Maps which is so famously terrible for its ability to get anything right!

I've no idea, but it was good and saved us a lot of bother. Mind you, I still needed a few of those great beers they have there :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.