Author Topic: SAT NAV  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Catnapper

• GTI forum regular
SAT NAV
« on: 26 February 2019, 14:39 »
Does anyone actually find the standard Satnav on a facelift GTI any good :angry:
Am I better off not using the 3 route option as I can't for the life of me decide which one is best.
99% of the time I end up using Google through Android Auto.
Anyone happy with theirs, if so hints please.
MK7.5 Indium Grey 19" Brescia Alloys

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: SAT NAV
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2019, 14:57 »
You can't beat Google or Waze though ACP/AA. Why would you want to use anything else?  :smiley:

I've not even fired up the in-car Nav since getting the car 2 months ago.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2019, 15:22 »
The nav in my Mk7 works ok . It's a bit clunky in operation but gets me where I'm going as well as my iPhone does.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2019, 15:22 »
I don't use it much but on the few times I have it has been pretty poor. Generally I'll make my own notes from a map to get me 95% to where I want to be and let the nav assist for the last bit (which is usually the tricky part). If I have my co-pilot on board, we'll rely more on her iphone which does seem to be a lot better. I often find the in-built nav will tell you which lane or which exit too late to be of much help. It doesn't do my blood pressure any good :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2019, 15:43 »
I don't use it much but on the few times I have it has been pretty poor. Generally I'll make my own notes from a map to get me 95% to where I want to be and let the nav assist for the last bit (which is usually the tricky part). If I have my co-pilot on board, we'll rely more on her iphone which does seem to be a lot better. I often find the in-built nav will tell you which lane or which exit too late to be of much help. It doesn't do my blood pressure any good :rolleyes:

Proper old school. I have my satnav on all the time even if it just on the commute into work. The traffic updates are a lifesaver at times.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2019, 17:53 »
The built in sat nav isn't the most sophisticated, but it always gets me where i need to go to. Using Car Play or Android Auto isn't without its drawbacks;-

You can't run Google Maps or similar in the active info display.

You can't have two mobile phones connected at the same time as App Connect is running. Not a big deal to some, but I have my personal and work phones connected while commuting.

You can't listen to music through anything connected via the aux while App Connect is running. I have an 80gb iPod Classic connected.

App Connect isn't wireless. You have to take your phone out of your pocket each time to connect it to the car. And then remember to disconnect it again when you've finished.

On balance, i'll stick with the built in nav, at least until App Connect becomes a bit more advanced.
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2019, 19:24 »
If you set the factory fitted nav up properly and keep the maps up to date then it's perfectly fine. I haven't had any issues at all and even better I've got soeedcams on.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2019, 21:00 »
Its better than it used to be - if you setup carnet for traffic updates.

Its still quite poor at route finding compared to Google/Waze, particularly when it tries to navigate you around the traffic it sees in carnet. If you use Waze you get more than just Nav, you get useful information even when just rolling along with no route set.

Do I still use the VW nav? Sometimes if I haven't remembered to setup AA before I started driving.

Could AppConnect be better? Absolutely and TBH it should have been better already but car OEM's are notorious in being slow to pick up new tech quickly enough.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

steve12345

« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2019, 21:32 »
Dose it really take 4 hours to update the latest map download onto the cars satnav system?

I’ve been looking up how to do it and which SD cards etc I need.. I’m wondering if it takes 4 hours like the website suggest is it worth it?!?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2019, 23:56 »
Do you have Nav Pro? If so then you're better off with a 32gb class 10 or high speed card. Depending on your tinternet connection it can download in 10 minutes or well over an hour. Unzipping can sometimes take a while but again depends on your computer speed. If you've got standard Nav then you use the card provided with the car. You get free updates so why not update it?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.