Author Topic: Brexit and possible 10% surcharge  (Read 8434 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Brexit and possible 10% surcharge
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2019, 07:41 »
Ha yes. I did another thread on what people would buy if we couldn’t have an EU car. The alternatives (in the same price range) were pretty uninspiring.

Honda's off that list now too lol
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2019, 09:17 »
Something has been going on at Honda for a good while. Our neighbour has worked in R&D at Swindon for the best part of 20 years. He's not been going in for well over a year now. He still has the new company cars every six months. I've asked on a couple of occasions if he's retired, as he is 50 now, but he says he's having a bit of time away and working from home. I thought he'd been given gardening leave for been involved in the abortion of design they call Civic. Since the announcement the other week, I've thought it best not to bring the subject up..yet. 
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2019, 17:48 »
Ha yes. I did another thread on what people would buy if we couldn’t have an EU car. The alternatives (in the same price range) were pretty uninspiring.

Honda's off that list now too lol
why? It’s nothing to do with Europe, you can still buy Hyundai’s here

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 05 March 2019, 20:03 »
Sky News breaking...

Brexit: Government to slash up to 90% of trade tariffs if UK leaves EU with no deal

http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-government-to-slash-up-to-90-of-trade-tariffs-if-uk-leaves-eu-with-no-deal-11656093

Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 05 March 2019, 20:40 »
Sky News breaking...

Brexit: Government to slash up to 90% of trade tariffs if UK leaves EU with no deal

http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-government-to-slash-up-to-90-of-trade-tariffs-if-uk-leaves-eu-with-no-deal-11656093

Political debate and insight on the forum. That’s why I love this place!  :wink:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 05 March 2019, 22:22 »
I was being very careful not to be biased one way or the other, too 😬.  Keeping it neutral here. Full on Tory mode is reserved for my Twitter account lol.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 05 March 2019, 23:14 »
What does it all mean?
No one has a ******* clue!
Good, eh?
(This is a non-political, non-partisan comment).
I only know that if I ran a company this way, I would be sacked.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 05 March 2019, 23:23 »
In the context of this post and the assumption in the event of a no deal Brexit, there would be 10% tariffs applied to cars. The headline suggests the government would abolish (or zero-rate) 90% of tariffs. However the small print indicates they would still apply to cars, to protect UK based manufacturers. So as you were.

Anyway I’m bored sh1tl355 by Brexit and I’m a political nerd! Back to cars. Mines being collected in the morning 😬

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 06 March 2019, 06:35 »
What does it all mean?
No one has a ******* clue!
Good, eh?
(This is a non-political, non-partisan comment).
I only know that if I ran a company this way, I would be sacked.

Agreed. This uncertainty is one of the factors that swayed my thinking to change before the end of the month. How can you make a financial plan with no information? We’d all be for the high jump if we operated like this in the workplace. Don’t think we’d be in line for a 2.7% pay rise.  :whistle:

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 06 March 2019, 06:36 »
In the context of this post and the assumption in the event of a no deal Brexit, there would be 10% tariffs applied to cars. The headline suggests the government would abolish (or zero-rate) 90% of tariffs. However the small print indicates they would still apply to cars, to protect UK based manufacturers. So as you were.

Anyway I’m bored sh1tl355 by Brexit and I’m a political nerd! Back to cars. Mines being collected in the morning 😬

Good luck! That seems to have come around quickly. Be interesting to see your thoughts coming from the A3. Mines coming at weekend.