Author Topic: Brexit and possible 10% surcharge  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
Brexit and possible 10% surcharge
« on: 23 February 2019, 19:07 »
I went into 2 VW dealers today with my precise spec for a new Golf GTi 7.5 and there are none in the UK dealer network.  Hence if I was to commit to a new build (due in around wk 19 which is late May) then VW reserve the right to amend the price if there was a no deal Brexit.  I don't want to start a political remain/leave thread but all I know is a potential 10% rise in cost was enough to make me walk away.  Totally understand the situation VW find themselves in but surely sales of new factory build orders are going to plummet short-term until this uncertainty is resolved.  Dealers were saying customers are snapping up cars available in the UK.  Obviously could be BS but equally there may be a degree of truth.
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
7.5 GTD

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
Re: Brexit and possible 10% surcharge
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2019, 19:32 »
I went into 2 VW dealers today with my precise spec for a new Golf GTi 7.5 and there are none in the UK dealer network.  Hence if I was to commit to a new build (due in around wk 19 which is late May) then VW reserve the right to amend the price if there was a no deal Brexit.  I don't want to start a political remain/leave thread but all I know is a potential 10% rise in cost was enough to make me walk away.  Totally understand the situation VW find themselves in but surely sales of new factory build orders are going to plummet short-term until this uncertainty is resolved.  Dealers were saying customers are snapping up cars available in the UK.  Obviously could be BS but equally there may be a degree of truth.

Yep, this is a real thing and you will see it across the board with different brands. Yay Im so glad we are leaving  :whistle:
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2019, 19:37 »
It shouldn't stop anyone from ordering a car. If you agree a price and they increase it before delivery then you have the right to walk away.
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2019, 20:16 »
As I have previously said on this forum, this is precisely why I decided to order a new GTI 245 last Oct for 1 March 19 delivery.
I decided to de-risk matters as far as my next GTI was concerned. So I changed car a little earlier than I otherwise would to get in before 29 March.
My view attracted little attention or comment on this forum 3 months ago. I was surprised.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2019, 20:19 »
Let me know what you are looking for and I will see what’s around nationally
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2019, 20:21 »
Also perhaps why I got an extremely good price for my 2 yr old GTI........
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2019, 20:25 »
The German car makers were warned. We have a significant trade deficit with the EU.
Maybe not for much longer.
I'm looking to buy a GTI or R in the Summer. I see the R is now available to build and it too comes with keyless which can't be deselected.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2019, 20:57 »
Wednesday seems to be the turning point for a meaningful vote.Time is almost up now. VW must be absolutely bricking it just now.
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2019, 00:32 »
The 10% relates to possible tariffs if we leave without a deal. I really can’t see that happening, I reckon article 50 will either be extended another six months or a deal will pass at the 11th hour. Of course tariffs are only one factor. The £/€ exchange rate has devalued by around 20% since 2016 hence why a £28k GTI is now a £34k GTI. I also changed my car for March rather than September when it was due for the same reasons - plus with the mk8 coming along I didn’t want to be left with mk 7.5s in short supply or mk8’s with no early discounts (or not even available until 2020).

Back on the subject of 10% tariffs, the UK reserves the right not to apply them. There’s a risk the EU would not reciprocate on UK car exports (Honda/Nissan/JLR)  but it’s an option nonetheless.

My personal view is that tariffs will be mutually damaging and government/business will find a way around it. I don’t buy all the scare stories. I also don’t buy the utopian Brexit dream. The reality lies somewhere in between.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.