Author Topic: VW Driver magazine - ceased trading!  (Read 4688 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
VW Driver magazine - ceased trading!
« on: 21 February 2019, 10:43 »
Not sure if anyone else was aware of this but it appears that VW Driver magazine is no more (Audi Driver too). Phoned to ask where February magazine was to be told no longer trading. What I find most galling is that I phoned a fortnight ago to check my subscription and was told absolutely nothing by the editor who sometimes frequents this forum!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: VW Driver magazine - ceased trading!
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2019, 10:50 »
Printed magazines have been in decline for quite a while now. I used to subscribe, but got fed up with what was just the same old same old, month after month. There's no GTI International either this year, which must have been their main money maker and probably supported the dwindling magazine sales.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2019, 11:07 »
Sad but true.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2019, 11:13 »
Sad but true.
Indeed, just look at what's happening at EVO, cuts cuts and more cuts. Compare the ECOTY video from 2017 to the last one in December 2018, mindblowing production cuts.

The sad truth is that the information they put in mags can be had online weeks before it gets into print so by the time it gets to the end user it's not special enough.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2019, 11:24 »
Its the advertising revenue fall off that is killing printed media.

In fact that's killing it faster than falling reader numbers.

Has been for quite some time.

Most of the newspapers only prop up their printed editions by having websites full of ads and click bait. Most of them have gone so far with it that the sites become unusable because of all of the ads taking time to load or failing to load.

The other thing you have to remember is that actually selling a magazine to a reader never paid for it in the first place. The cover price is just the printing costs, distribution costs and a margin for the reseller. You were always effectively paying to be advertised at.

Personally, I don't miss printed magazines much.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2019, 22:55 »
Facebook page still up and running.Cannot find any mention of it closing anywhere.Shame if it is.It always gave me something to read whilst waiting in the VW garage.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2019, 21:25 by Restlessnative »
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2019, 00:29 »
Everything is still up and running which means people can still buy subscriptions which isn't on really.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2019, 20:31 »
Everything is still up and running which means people can still buy subscriptions which isn't on really.

That's just not on. :angry:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2019, 19:50 »
Thanks for posting this up mcmaddy and the associated warning around the website still being live to take subscriptions.

Obviously we don’t know what’s gone on behind the scenes for that to be still happening therefore your warning is very useful.

For myself, I read the magazine from the first copy right through until late last year when my sub ran out. I was mid moving house so didn’t get round to renewing, although I very nearly did several times but got sidetracked each time I went to renew (as happens when I go on the Internet).

If I think about it, I’d never have allowed that lapse to happen years ago, but the internet and car forums gradually replaced reading magazines for many if not most of us over the years.

I’d read VWD mag and its direct predecessor VW Audi Car magazine (plus Neil Birkitt’s previous home VW Motoring) since the early ‘80’s.
Before the internet the dedicated enthusiasts would love to get their cars featured in these mags, the letter pages were well subscribed to and the mags were a direct line of advertising products to car enthusiasts. All those things have largely been replaced with forums and social media now.
People can easily and, more importantly, quickly upload their own media direct to all now.

I’ve met (the late) Paul Harris, the original owner of the mag, Neil B the editor and some of the regular contributors (Andrew Chapple, Paz, etc) at Autometrix shows over the years.
I did GTI International for many years since way back when, plus their track days at Castle Combe and Audi Driver International.

Alas, these mags are run on a shoestring by dyed in the wool enthusiasts and after Paul Harris died I think the writing was on the wall. Neil had two mags to run and different owners to deal with. VW shows have been on the wane for decades and cost a fortune to put on. Catch 22, lower magazine sales mean less awareness of the event which equates to lower turnout and so it descends in a spiral.

I’d always trusted the opinions of real enthusiasts like Harris and Birkitt for my own buying research rather than the glossy general purpose car mags. Hell, when I started reading those indie mags in the ‘80’s most of the pics inside were still in black and white to keep costs down!

I feel sorry for the staff, and I guess I’m (a tiny) part of the reason it went under. Admittedly, if they had notified me each year for renewal then I’d never have lapsed in the first place. But, there must be a sound enough reason I wasn’t breaking the door down to renew as I would have done many years ago.

RIP a great indie car mag :(
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2019, 21:24 »
Post on their Facebook page from someone saying they never got their mag this month.Wondered if it was a postal problem.
Reply was 'another reason,will PM you'. :sad: