Author Topic: Golf R alternative.... with 306bhp...  (Read 10985 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Golf R alternative.... with 306bhp...
« on: 18 February 2019, 16:24 »
So VW are bringing out a T-Roc R with the full 306bhp... Good on them, I do like the look of the T-Roc so imagine the final product will be great. Sure the SUV/crossover haters will be pleased!  :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFrJv0ZelYI
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: Golf R alternative.... with 306bhp...
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2019, 17:12 »
Been driving a 1.0 115 T-Roc as a courtesy car for 2 weeks now. Apart from the bigger boot which again is not that much bigger (and for sure the MK8 will close that gap considerably), it's a small car for how big it looks from the outside. More like a raised Polo. Where this is particularly obvious is the rear seats space where there is clearly less leg-room than in a Golf, meaning bulky child seats will take a toll on the front passenger's space/comfort. I imagine things will only be worse in that aspect with the addition of 4Motion on the R variant. There's also the question of if and by how much the cheap plastics will be upgraded on the R version.

Tiguan R will be the proper R alternative imo.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2019, 18:48 »
Think it feels like a raised Polo because it’s based on a Polo and it’s raised...  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2019, 19:25 »
Good to see it has blue dial needles in the digi display unlike the crap effort the current Golf R has to put up with. Small details can make a big difference.
I’ve been driving my son’s Ibiza TSI 115 today, same chassis and basic dash architecture as the T-Roc, and you don’t notice the cheaper plastics when you’re on the move. The interior feels damned near as big as my Golf’s and the boot actually seems bigger.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2019, 19:28 »
I'm thinking of looking at a Seat Leon Cupra 290 dsg to replace the golf GTi pp I've got at the minute. Not really looking the look of the mk8 and it's going to cost a fortune for only 232bhp apparently.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2019, 19:30 »
Think it feels like a raised Polo because it’s based on a Polo and it’s raised...  :grin:

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2019, 19:36 »
I’ve been driving my son’s Ibiza TSI 115 today, same chassis and basic dash architecture as the T-Roc, and you don’t notice the cheaper plastics when you’re on the move. The interior feels damned near as big as my Golf’s and the boot actually seems bigger.

You don't? First thing that struck me was how cheap the door handles felt as well as some bits of the center console. On a base trim Polo or Ibiza it's fine, but on a 30-35K T-Roc definitely not, at least for me. Interior feels like a Golf from the driver's seat but as soon as you need to make use of the rear space you realize pretty quickly it's smaller. Boot is definitely bigger.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2019, 19:51 »
Two things fundamentally wrong with the T-Roc that put me off it, scanesare has mentioned them both. The cheap interior, and the lack of space in the back.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2019, 20:18 »
There’s also the question of if and by how much the cheap plastics will be upgraded on the R version.

Two things fundamentally wrong with the T-Roc that put me off it, scanesare has mentioned them both. The cheap interior, and the lack of space in the back.

And I doubt that an R version would get soft feel plastics to instead of the hard scratchy plastics in all the other models. AFAIK, historically VW have fitted the same quality plastics to all trim levels of a vehicle model, so don’t see why they’d make an exception for a T-Roc R.

I thought the SUV version of the Polo was the forthcoming T-Cross; the T-Roc fits into the segment above.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2019, 20:49 »
No I can't see them upgrading the dash plastics just for the R either. They might do something to give the seats a sense of occasion though.
7.5 GTD