Author Topic: Mk2 Golf 3.2 VR6 Kamei Edition + GTI 8v Mini Resto  (Read 65374 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: 89 Golf GTI 16V
« Reply #30 on: 04 June 2016, 13:00 »
I'm not taking any credit for the good condition of this car right now, that goes to the previous owner. Her thread is in the first post, check out how bad it was when she got it!

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #31 on: 04 June 2016, 13:14 »
Ive seen it and read it.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 06 June 2016, 13:17 »
In other news, I'm pretty sure I'm going down the 1.8T route now, been looking into all the various things I can do, but everything just comes back around to fitting the 1.8T engine in one way or another. I will plan to do it a little differently, I would quite like to use an AUM engine (with the K03S turbo) and retain a lot of the Mk4 parts, modifying the Mk2 shell as required. Seeing as it'll be in the body shop and totally stripped back, makes sense to modify any parts at that time in order to fit the full Mk4 running gear.

Looking to get a donor car, then transfer the engine and gearbox, utilising the Mk4 pedals and shifter. Thinking if I can modify the bulkhead of the Mk2 enough I can run not only a full Mk4 hydraulic clutch system, but also the fly-by-wire throttle set up as well. I'll retain the Mk2 subframe and drive shafts along with the Mk2 16V hubs but run G60 280mm front brakes with the Mk4 rear caliper swap and Mk2 Golf coilovers to keep things a little Mk2 like.

It's early days, but seems the easiest way to go considering how far I'm going with regards to the shell. If I weren't, I'd say it was too much but when in Rome and all that... But thoughts and comments are welcome!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #33 on: 06 June 2016, 15:57 »
Pm me, might have something for you. ;)

Offline borax

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 07 June 2016, 05:33 »
good luck, i would love a 1.8t conversion. You should be able to get a few quid for the original engine as it has been recently rebuilt.

you might as well go the whole hog, as you said in for a penny in for a pound, keep us updated and the Romans :)

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 12 June 2016, 18:54 »
Smashed another weekend on the GTI, got loads done. When I say loads done, I mean lots and lots taken off...

Fuel tank and rear beam were a pain in the **** to get off, as such I've decided to go mk3 Golf wide track all round, if I'm going to this much trouble then I'm planning on doing the rear beam just once. Will also fit the mk3 Golf petrol tank with a VR6 pump to supply the 1.8T with a healthy amount of fuel.

Onto the interior:

Planning on cleaning up and tidying the original loom as much as possible, deleting what isn't going to be needed and re-making my own custom loom for the audio, if I keep it. If I can fit a DAB antenna stealthy like then I'll do it and get a nice audio package installed. Planning on a caged and clean interior now as well, so will speak to the body shop about smoothing out as much of the interior as possible, making my own custom panels where needed and carpeting the floor just for a little refinement. Just a dash, pedals, wheel, 2 seats, gear leaver and a cage and that's it, bliss!

2 weekends till it goes into the body shop now... Stay tuned!

Offline borax

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 16 June 2016, 01:52 »
good luck with this, keep us updated when in the bodyshop. Its going to be good!

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 28 June 2016, 20:16 »
Spent another solid weekend in the workshop making progress towards stripping her down to a shell...

That was up to Saturday. Came back Sunday morning and cracked on, was determined to have her ready for the body shop as she was due in Saturday morning.

Quite proud of my work, if I may say so myself! All ready to go, then today my mate texts me these:

She's now in the body shop and the proper restoration can begin! The floor under the front seats is pretty shot to be honest, planning to replace it but weld in custom mounting points for Recaro or Cobra seats with a bolt on generic frame to suit. That way I can run slightly better chassis re-enforcements while mounting safer seats. Also going to need to repair the rear turrets and wheel arches, but also going to smooth the interior out and delete a lot of stuff, fitting a roll cage and some carpets and that's about it really.

Up front I'll need to repair all the rust, get the custom mounting points for my intercooler and radiator made up and some minor adjustments and smoothing to the engine bay. Relocating the battery to the driver's side where the air box used to go so I can run my intake system for the 1.8T similar to the 2.0 TFSI in design, as this is a really good flow and I'm very familiar with it. Also planning on separating out the electronics of the engine bay and interior as much as possible, so running the essential mk2 Golf systems off the original wiring loom and fuse box but then for the engine I'll use a mk4 Golf engine bay fuse box to keep things as separated as possible. Made a start on the first of the interior looms, because I'm not running rear wind screen wipers or washer, deleted that out the loom:

Got to sort through all this lot though at some point to extract what I need:

Decided that was a job for a rainy day. Got on with the interior loom, this one is only going to run the rear lights and fuel tank, and seeing as I'm running a mk3 Golf VR6 tank, it simplified the wiring even more. Plan to separate the looms even more into individual systems then combine them in insulation so that each system can be separated back out easily in the future.

The dash board wiring will remain pretty much untouched bar removing the wires that aren't needed for connecting to engine bay wiring. Will then wrap it all up in modern insulation so it's much more modern looking and protected. Loads of work on that little project alone but I'm excited to say I've already done one job that doesn't involve pulling stuff apart without re-building something! Progress towards the re-build has begun...

Got a VR6 rear beam as well which is in better condition than my GTI one so should turn out much better when done, also got some spacer plates for the stub axles to increase it's width by another 24mm. Sourced some mk3 Golf VR6 front hubs and a mk3 Golf power steering rack and tie rods with ends, so after I get some wishbones I have all the hardware to do both axles. Just a case of cleaning it all up, making it good as new or fitting new parts where required and upgrades too, then having it bolted up ready to fit as a complete axle. If all goes to plan (time and budget allowing) I'll have front and rear axles sat ready to be fitted the same day I get the shell back, I'm aiming to have the car rolling on all 4 wheels within 3 days of getting her back. How hard can a full rebuild from a shell be? :whistle:

Stay tuned, although I'm also planning some tasty upgrades to the 6R too so take a peak at that every now and then for some other progress!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #38 on: 28 June 2016, 21:40 »
3 days to build a shell up. Easy mate.
Build the full car in 3 days.
Good progress and well done

Offline iain cooper

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 28 June 2016, 21:48 »
didn't realise you were taking it back so far, truly admirable to say the least!

again brilliant pictures and very much motivating.

thanks

Iain