Author Topic: TCS  (Read 977 times)

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
TCS
« on: 16 October 2006, 11:48 »
I have a 1999 MKIV Golf GTI 1.8 Turbo AGU.  Can anyone please tell me if it has TCS - Traction Control.  I don't see the light on startup check.
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: TCS
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2006, 14:06 »
Is there a button marked ASR or possibly EPS (think that was only on later models) beside the hazard indicator button on the dash?  This button swithes the system off and pressing it will cause the light to come on.  If so and there is no light on the dash which looks like a triangle with a circular arrow around it (I think from memory.....) then maybe the bulb has been removed or has blown.  Light only comes on for a few seconds with the altenator lights etc then goes out normally.  If the system is activated the light will come on briefly though. 

I have a 2000 1.8T and it has ASR which is straighforward traction control, I think the later models have ESP which is a more sophisticated stability control/traction control system.

I would think your car has at least ASR.
HTH
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2006, 14:50 »
I've had opportunity to spin the front wheels and unlike my BMW 530i the triangular light which I am familiar with doesn't come on at all.  Maybe my car has no ASR as you say.
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline Phil_M

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2006, 22:10 »
Unfortunately AGU's don't have any traction control what so ever.

Phil
GOLF 1.9T AGU TD05H 18G
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v218/pipmann30/GOLF%20GTI%20%20TURBO/?albumview=slideshow

Front wheel drive monster 0-60mph in under 5sec 0-100mph in 10sec