Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Sport 3  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
« on: 23 June 2012, 11:52 »
I just thought that I would give a quick review of the aforementioned tyres.

I have had them on the car now for approximately 600 miles and they replaced my previous favourites, Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD 3.

All I can say is that the improvement from the Goodyears is remarkable.  The dry grip and wet grip is noteably improved as well as reduced road noise.  These tyres allow you to corner much faster and the bite is very pronounced.  Overall the tyres have greatly improved the handling characterstics of the car, to the extent that it actually feels like a different car altogether!  Another important factor, after going through 2 sets of the Goodyear's is that the Michelin's are rated to last a lot longer.  The GSD3's really wear out fast due to their softer compound.  In relation to this, I've found that tyre manufacturers have now managed to make newer premium sport tyres last longer on .

I would highly recommend these tyres on the MK4 Golf, especially on one like mine, GTI AGU 1.8T.  My tyre size is 205/55 R16. 

I also drive a Subaru and have observed that a certain brand of tyre will perform differently accross varying car makes.  The Goodyears are undoubtebly the best tyres on a Subaru, but IMHO, the Michelins are better for a MK4 Golf.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2012, 11:55 by Zayd »
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline JimBR

• I live here
Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 3
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2012, 12:49 »
How much mate?   :smiley:

Offline Chris.

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2012, 13:14 »
I had pilot sport 3s on the back of mine we pinched off my mates mk5 when we traded it in.
Also had eagle F1s on the front which I never really got to use properly before crashing. 

Had Rainsports on the front of mine in 225/40/18 for the length of the tyre and they were a GOOD tyre.  put up with 250bhp thorugh 2 wheels very good, wouldnt even spin in 2nd nailing it in the dry.

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2012, 06:06 »

I paid £77 a corner from mytyres.com
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2012, 08:22 »

:shocked: :shocked: What size were they in as they normally well over £130 a corner

Offline old_n07

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2012, 08:54 »

:shocked: :shocked: What size were they in as they normally well over £130 a corner

From the first post "My tyre size is 205/55 R16. "   :tongue:
Quote from: mikemk4golf
Hey you're a moderator, I want a serious answer not someone who takes the piss!

Grammar is the difference between Helping your Uncle jack off a horse and Helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Not so standard Gt TDi
Cluster Mods FAQ | Miles to Empty Guide

Offline old_n07

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2012, 08:59 »

Michellin are doing £50 in fuel vouchers if you buy 2 or more tyres from certain suppliers at the moment Rhyso so brings them down to £115 a corner from ATS for 18's :afro:

Grammar is the difference between Helping your Uncle jack off a horse and Helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Not so standard Gt TDi

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2012, 09:02 »

From the first post "My tyre size is 205/55 R16. "   :tongue:

Feather plucker  :tongue:

Michellin are doing £50 in fuel vouchers if you buy 2 or more tyres from certain suppliers at the moment Rhyso so brings them down to £115 a corner from ATS for 18's :afro:

Hmmm ATS......After my last exploits with tyres there's only one place I'd get to supply and fit and I doubt they are one of the authorised suppliers  :sad:  Useful links for others though :afro:

Offline old_n07

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2012, 09:11 »
Give the dealer a call and ask them if they are taking part in the promo

from the T's and C's:

4. Promotion only available at participating tyre dealers. A list of participating dealers can be found at www.michelin.co.uk or by calling the Michelin helpline number on 0845 366 1590. If you are in doubt please ask your tyre dealer if your purchase will qualify for this promotion.

Not so standard Gt TDi

Offline GTIcheeseman

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2012, 19:31 »
thats well cheap think i might invest next time i need some tyres

i run goodyear efficiency tyres they are £150 a corner from a mate !! but they are really good in my eyes nice grip and traction