Author Topic: Boot won't lock since snow  (Read 586 times)

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
Boot won't lock since snow
« on: 03 December 2010, 23:50 »
Has anyone else experience this problem.  Today the temps dropped to -3c and my boot lock has become isolated from the central locking circuit.  If I lock all doors from the remote and the car is alarmed, when opening the boot no sirens go off!

I would lock the boot manually with the key but its been busted since I aquired the car 4 years ago.  The key goes into the lock but will not turn.
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Re: Boot won't lock since snow
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2010, 10:25 »
Frozen lock inside  :undecided:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2010, 16:51 »
The temparature has now risen to 5c but still the boot lock is not operational.  I took off the boot trim and sprayed some electrical contact cleaner into the microswitch but still no joy.  I've also checked all the relevant fuses, including 38, which includes the boot locking. 

I will try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins to see if it resets everything.

Offline mattkh

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2010, 20:14 »
.......I took off the boot trim and sprayed some electrical contact cleaner into the microswitch
Hi
If the trim is still off, then please put up a picture of the microswitch area showing the lock.

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2010, 00:18 »
Sorry, I've read this too late as the trim is back on.  I know that there is definately current going to the lock mechanism.  If I push the lock with my hand then it turns of the boot area light.

I read on another forum that the usual culprit in these cases, is that the lock motor becomes defective.  Just like my wiper motor which had the teeth sheered off, I believe this is also the case with this part.

Aparrantly this motor is only around £15.00, so I shall order one without haste.