Author Topic: Wipers while washing car  (Read 2777 times)

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
Wipers while washing car
« on: 22 May 2018, 21:01 »
What’s the story with the windscreen wipers on the mk7.5?  You can’t lift them up while washing the car!  It’s a right old pain in the backside.  My wife has a brand new polo and hers lift as normal.

Am I missing something?  I noticed my neighbours Audi A6 is the same.  They appear to be recessed further behind the bonnet.
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
Re: Wipers while washing car
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2018, 21:04 »
Turn the ignition on and off then pull the wiper stalk down and the wipers will wipe up to the service position. Also you are then able to move them around without any resistance from the wiper motor.  :smiley:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2018, 21:28 »
Turn the ignition on and off then pull the wiper stalk down and the wipers will wipe up to the service position. Also you are then able to move them around without any resistance from the wiper motor.  :smiley:

Ahhh that’s fantastic thank you!  :grin:

I will definitely be trying that for the next wash.
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2018, 21:58 »

Ahhh that’s fantastic thank you!  :grin:

I will definitely be trying that for the next wash.

Just take extra care not to switch the ignition back on and pull the wiper stalk down while the wipers are in service position; happened to me and wipers fell flat on the windshield, thankfully no damage to the glass but one of the pins that holds the rubber on the wipers broke so had to go get a new one...
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2018, 21:18 »
Or just leave the wipers against the screen, only lifting them to clean them and the bit if screen underneath. That way they are out of harms way if for whatever reason you turn the ignition on and knock the wiper stalk.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2018, 10:07 »
You can also use the wiper service position on Mk7s to hold a piece of cardboard as a temporary sun shield.

If this weather keeps up we may well have to start thinking about protecting our tyre wall protecors from the sun as well?