Author Topic: Golf MK8 speculation  (Read 2339 times)

Offline kane1210

• Here all the time
Golf MK8 speculation
« on: 11 December 2018, 18:20 »

I've been battling with my inner demons of late.....wait for the mk8 Gti or order a final edition of the 7.5 (as I think it's almost perfect as far as golfs go) Currently driving a 7.5 Gti 3 door manual but would like to see out the generation in the dsg version. But then with the reveal of the 8th generation of my beloved vehicle just around the corner do I blindly go where no man has been?!?!?

Pic is an outline of the 8th generation golf! Looks sleek!

Offline avalon

• Here all the time
Re: Golf MK8 speculation
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2018, 18:52 »
I in a similar boat - though will be trading up from mk6.  Got some Carwow quotes for latest 7.5 but best deals are using VAG finance and PCP.

Ava
GTi DSG 5 Door Candy White [MY11]

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2018, 19:04 »
I’ll probably take the deposit contribution and then pay it off if I get a 7.5. I’m not sure you should wait for a model that has no pricing and no other concrete information unless it’s when you were due to change anyway.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2018, 19:09 »
I've been battling with my inner demons of late.....wait for the mk8 Gti or order a final edition of the 7.5 (as I think it's almost perfect as far as golfs go) Currently driving a 7.5 Gti 3 door manual but would like to see out the generation in the dsg version. But then with the reveal of the 8th generation of my beloved vehicle just around the corner do I blindly go where no man has been?!?!?

Pic is an outline of the 8th generation golf! Looks sleek!

This was posted on golfmk7.com earlier today;

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/possible-new-vw-golf-mk8-spotted-south-africa/

Whether or not it’s genuine is anyone’s guess, but it seems a bit early to be testing a mk8 on the road without the usual camouflage covers. Headlights are similar to the one in the reveal picture in your post though.

I’d personally not want one of the first models of the next generation. I’d always wait until 12-18 months after launch, by which time any teething problems would hopefully have been sorted. Also, by waiting 12-18 months, the likely initial long lead times will have reduced to something more acceptable.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kane1210

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2018, 19:48 »
https://youtu.be/ceXEtEIyxps

So very fake I'm afraid!!

The point made about teething problems with a new model is very true!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2018, 21:21 »
How many teething troubles did the Mk7 have?

Not as many as you would normally expect... from memory the main problem were dealers not removing the transit stops from the suspension!

I'd probably take a punt on a Mk8, but suspect that I won't get a chance with the timings of my new car cycle.... probably a Mk7.5 again for me. Yes, I'm THAT happy with my Golf's that I'd have a third Mk7 variant in a row...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2018, 10:26 »
Are the putting the mk8 on the MQB platform? In which case it's less likely to have teething problems than the mk7 was perhaps?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2018, 11:34 »
I would expect there'll still be teething problems whatever platform they use.

Think increased tech / touch screens / hybrid power trains / battery tech.
7.5 GTD