Author Topic: Alloy refurbishment - recommendation West Yorkshire area  (Read 4181 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Alloy refurbishment - recommendation West Yorkshire area
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2018, 08:38 »

When I messed with it the other day I have taken the shine off some of the flat part of the wheel, the kerbed bit, scrunched bit, is right on the lip. Any ideas how to make the bit I have dulled shiny again?

Any pictures?

It’s probably looking a bit like the dull finish on car paintwork that you’d get if you were to wet sand it to remove the orange peel effect (some purists/perfectionists do this - I wouldn’t dare, for fear of striking through the clear coat!). After wet sanding, the paintwork is then machine polished to remove the dull finish to get a mirror like finish.

Without seeing it, I’d say that if you know someone with a machine polisher and they use an appropriate combination of pad and polish, it should restore the shine.

If it’s only a small localised area and you don’t know someone with a machine polisher, then you can probably do a pretty good job hand polishing the dull area using a foam polish applicator pad and a product like Meguiars Ultimate Compound or Autoglym Scratch Remover. I’ve not used either of these so can’t vouch for how effective they’d be. Just be careful not to polish too hard as you may risk polishing through the lacquer!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2018, 17:55 »
Would add photo SRGTD if only knew how...have searched forum and can't find any recent instructions. Do I need to be using photobucket?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2018, 18:37 »
You need to use a photo hosting site; I use Postimage.org.

Upload your picture(s) to the photo hosting site. For the pictures you want to include in your post, copy the ‘Hotlink for forums’ and paste the link into your post.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2018, 18:38 »
Not much help to you and would not touch the flat area like this, but when I curbed the very edge of a wheel rim I used a file to remove the 'dent' and get the shine back then lacquered the area. Can only tell if you know its there. Flat areas need machining unfortunately. I have used Perfection wheels and that has lasted 4 years so far without problems on a Monza Shadow. I believe they have a rep in Leeds?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2018, 20:22 »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/145585097@N04/shares/r8Hucg

Not sure this has worked...
Photo of wheel and then another one of the car as I've never put a picture on before..

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 05 December 2018, 20:26 »
It worked... the photo thing..thanks SRGTD.
and thanks everyone else for suggestions..

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2018, 20:48 »
@Pixwix; if it’s the slightly dull area on the widest part of the wheel spoke immediately below the scuff marks on the rim, I’d have thought it should be possible to polish that area by hand to bring back the shine.

Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2018, 20:50 »
Hopefully this is easier. You just need to pasre the BBCode into your post.

LND_A1C9AC3E-957C-4777-B91D-BED7D5A15BA9 by cazpixwix, on Flickr
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 05 December 2018, 22:34 »
If you have access to a DA the dulled area will easily polish out. If not, as suggested, try some polish on a foam pad by hand to refine the damaged area.  Obviously the kerbed area will need a full diamond cut refurb.  If you are going to get the wheel refurbished soon, then there’s no point in polishing the dulled area as they’ll run the lathe over the whole face. If you’re leaving it then polishing the dulled area will improve that bit.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2018, 22:49 »
I think I'll be getting that wheel refurbished. Will try the polishing on the other wheel that has the smallest ding that I then made worse. Any ideas for a polish to use?