Author Topic: Paint Problems MK 7.5  (Read 5151 times)

Offline Julio

• Just got here
Paint Problems MK 7.5
« on: 09 September 2018, 20:02 »
Hi,
I’m new on here and apologise in advance if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum. I purchased a  Gti mk 7.5 230 in Atlantic Blue in June of this year. When I checked the car inside the showroom I was really pleased with it. I drove straight home, parked on the drive and had another look around it. I was gutted to find that there was loads of white blemishes beneath the lacquer all over the car. I phoned the dealer immediately and they asked me to return it stating they would get it sorted and gave me a courtesy car. A week later they phoned me saying cars done. I checked it inside the garage and it looked perfect however I drove it outside and re checked it. It was exactly the same as the week before. When I pointed this out they were gob smacked and kept it for another week and a half. Another call from the garage and it appeared to have been done. I was provided with a written guarantee that if the blemishes returned within 6 months I could have a replacement car. Guess what this week I have found several more blemishes. Unfortunately VW don’t do the 230anymore and it looks like they will now charge me extra for a replacement PP. Has anyone suffered similar issues?
« Last Edit: 09 September 2018, 20:23 by Julio »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Paint Problems MK 7.5
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2018, 21:05 »
Do you mean that impact damage has revealed the white undercoat?

If so, yes, it happens. More visible on dark colours, but both my current Mk7.5 and my previous Mk7 have bonnets like a plasterer's radio.

Soft water based paint. Welcome to modern cars.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2018, 22:04 »
my current Mk7.5 and my previous Mk7 have bonnets like a plasterer's radio.

LOL  :grin:

...but true... :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2018, 00:08 »
my current Mk7.5 and my previous Mk7 have bonnets like a plasterer's radio.

LOL  :grin:

...but true... :sad:

Has been for some time, especially on black cars. I had a black CTR some time ago now and that was equally blighted, so not a new thing.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2018, 09:01 »
Do you mean that impact damage has revealed the white undercoat?

If so, yes, it happens. More visible on dark colours, but both my current Mk7.5 and my previous Mk7 have bonnets like a plasterer's radio.

From the OP’s post, I was under the impression it was a brand new car as they said;
I purchased a  Gti mk 7.5 230 in Atlantic Blue in June of this year. When I checked the car inside the showroom I was really pleased with it. I drove straight home, parked on the drive and had another look around it. I was gutted to find that there was loads of white blemishes beneath the lacquer all over the car.
So, IMO the initial paintwork blemishes ‘all over the car’ were unlikely to be impact damage from stones after one single journey from the dealer showroom to the OP’s home, unless it was on roads freshly resurfaced with loose clippings, and/or the OP was travelling very close behind other vehicles. It’s possible that the car could have now picked up some stone chips since June though.

OP; do you know what the dealer did to the paintwork to remove the blemishes? Are you able to post up some pictures of these blemishes?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2018, 09:41 »
In the first post the OP says white blemishes under the lacquer. That's not stone chips from driving home - that's an issue with the paint.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2018, 10:29 »
In the first post the OP says white blemishes under the lacquer. That's not stone chips from driving home - that's an issue with the paint.

I missed that Jim. If they were stone chips, then they’d also be concentrated in those areas susceptible to stone chips; not all over the car.

It sounds as if there was an issue with the painting process in the factory, or in the unlikely event that the car was damaged in transit between the factory and the dealer, poor, careless repainting of repaired damage.

Whatever the dealer did to rectify the paint blemishes. it only seems to be a temporary solution if they’ve reappeared.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2018, 11:07 »
A lot of cars arrive from the transporter with transit damage... its really quite common for things needing to be repaired as part of PDI...

Some photos from the OP would be good...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Julio

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2018, 20:09 »
Hi all,
Sorry been in work and haven’t had a chance to reply. There was no impact damage and definitely no stone chips. The blemishes were up to the size of a pea. They were under the lacquer and I was unable to rub them out. The strange thing is that you couldn’t see them inside the garage and only see them outside if the sun was shining on the car. I don’t think they will show up on a photo but will try next sunny day in Wales.
(hope you aren’t in a hurry to see them).

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2018, 21:16 »
Do they look a bit milky blobs on/under the lacquer? If so I have seen this before on a smart repair which involved lacquer spray over the affected panel and the paint hasn't completely gone off before it rained, adding a bit of opacity to the lacquer. It did polush out after leaving the paint to harden.

Does sound like your car has been repaurdd vefore yoh picked it up.

I only found out after 3 years of ownership that my "brand new" R had a smart repaired Pretoria from new when the wife grazed it and it went for a refurb with unusually tjick paint and a cross section of the scrape showing 2 full sets of paint coats (primer, colour, lacquer, primer, colour, lacquer).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.