Author Topic: Penny Pinching  (Read 9091 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Penny Pinching
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2018, 00:21 »
Is that all that unusual though? The T Roc is based off the Polo right? Granted I’ve not been in a new Polo but any Polo I’ve been in before was decidedly low rent compared to the big brother Golf.

Top of the range Polo is £9k (yes NINE thousand pounds) cheaper than the top of the range T-Roc, yet the Polo gets a nice soft touch dash and the T-Roc gets a hard scratchy one. Something not right there.

This is what Mat Watson thinks about it

https://youtu.be/v90tTV74QZE
7.5 GTD

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2018, 07:09 »
The T-Roc might be based off the new Polo but the top spec T-Roc SEL FWD model with a 2 litre 190 ps engine and 7 speed DSG has a current list price of £31,485 before you add any options, so price-wise, it’s not in the Polo price bracket; it’s in Golf GTI territory (current list price of the 5 door Golf GTI PP with 7 speed DSG is £31,645). Granted, with the top of the range T-Roc you’re getting FWD, but at that price, there’s probably (and not unreasonably?) a customer expectation of an interior that’s on a par with a Golf in terms of tactile, soft touch materials and not hard, scratchy plastic.

FWD? Don't you mean 4WD or AWD?

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2018, 07:36 »
Actually the T-Roc is based on the Golf underpinnings (MQB-0). It’s the future T-Cross that will be based upon the Polo (MQB -A0), indeed top spec AWD models also get the multi link rear axle (whereas FWD models get torsion beam).
« Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 11:34 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2018, 09:22 »
The T-Roc might be based off the new Polo but the top spec T-Roc SEL FWD model with a 2 litre 190 ps engine and 7 speed DSG has a current list price of £31,485 before you add any options, so price-wise, it’s not in the Polo price bracket; it’s in Golf GTI territory (current list price of the 5 door Golf GTI PP with 7 speed DSG is £31,645). Granted, with the top of the range T-Roc you’re getting FWD, but at that price, there’s probably (and not unreasonably?) a customer expectation of an interior that’s on a par with a Golf in terms of tactile, soft touch materials and not hard, scratchy plastic.

FWD? Don't you mean 4WD or AWD?

Oops! Yes, apologies, I was thinking Four Wheel Drive, and brain was on auto pilot as it was late, so typed the first letter of each; FWD. :embarrassed:

I’m sure you get the point I was making though, whether it’s FWD, 4WD or AWD; scratchy plastics in a car with a list price that’s pretty much the same a Golf GTI from the same manufacturer?

Hopefully, not a sign of things to come with the mk8 Golf.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2018, 10:54 »
I drove a brand new Polo 1 litre (95HP) manual and it went really well and was nice inside, leather steering wheel etc.

It reminded me of my old MK6 1.4 SE Golf the way it handled.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2018, 15:47 »
The 2015 Jetta I've been running in the US is low rent.... dashboard is rock hard plastic! Be glad you don't get the US spec cars, they are poor compared to the Euro versions.

BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2018, 07:45 »
Hi guys, need your help please (all the MK7.5 brigade).

A mate of mine is very close to purchasing a new MK7.5 GTI and asked me some questions over the weekend which I wasn't able to answer, but according to what I've seen in this thread, it looks like some of the question may have been answered, (but I'll ask again just in case). BTW, he's coming from an early 2013 GTI MK7 to a brand new MK7.5 GTI (not PP) and a factory order. Unfortunately his dealer hasn't been able to answer the questions and neither do they have a GTI in their showroom for him to look at.

1. It appears from this thread that the underseat storage drawers have been dropped completely from the MK7.5 program. Looking though the latest price list there's no mention of them in any of the model specs. I really like these on mine and use them for all sorts of small items (spare sunglasses for the misses, tyre tread gauge, tyre pressure gauge etc.) If that is the case, anyone know if these are retro fittable (don't think I would want to loose them either)?

2. He's been told that the very dark grey carbon-fiber(ish) dash and center console panels have now been replaced in the GTI with a high gloss black finish. Is that actually the case, and how does it look - is it the same for the door inert panel as well ? Is all the Red ambient lighting still there or have them removed that too ?

3. He's read (albeit on a US forum), that the nice flock (or velvet) finish inside the glovebox and also inside the door bins has been removed, leaving just a plain plastic finish - is that actually the case ?

4. Apart from the other cost saving measures already mentioned in other threads (battery cover gone, Isofix covers gone, glovebox lock gone, is there anything else that has been dropped since the original MK7 that he might notice ?

He's also asked me about the new Discover navigation pro (the 9.2" unit). Like me, he currently has the old Navigation Pro (8") in his car (albeit the original MIB I unit), and whilst the new Nav Pro is extremely expensive at £1300 he's asked if its worth it, and more importantly against the standard Nav (which I understand is now upgraded to an 8" Screen ?) Does anyone have experience of both of these MIB III units and can comment / give thoughts etc please ?

Finally, he's looking to spec the "Lane Assist with Dynamic Light Assist including Traffic Sign Recognition"  He wants to know definitely if this give you dynamic road sign recognition (i.e does the screen mounted camera pick up road signs and display them dynamically on the Active info display, or is it just the built in Nav speed sign database shown on those units only. He's suspicious as when he ordered his car back in 2013, the VW brochure said the nav pro came with a screen mounted camera for road sign recognition, (which as we now now it didn't), and he doesn't' want to get stung a second time. Any comments please ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2018, 09:13 »
The underseat storage removal is a bit odd really...

It is on my July 2017 GTD and we haven't yet reached the next MY yet, so I wouldn't have thought that they would have done that.

NavPro, I had MIB1 Navpro on my 2014 GTD and now have MIB3 (well actually VW call it "Discover Pro (Generation 2 GP)"). The screen is nice and big - positively massive. The touch screen is actually modern and responsive. The gesture control is sh** and I've disabled it. The system is overall much faster and fluid. Its not without the usual Golf MIB niggles of course, the odd crash, the odd strange thing that won't go away without switching the car off for 10 minutes etc. I've not managed to update the maps since I've had it because they refuse to download intact. I use Android Auto for pretty much all nav functions and a lot of music etc. Having the bigger screen I think helps with this a lot, Waze is probably quite hard to see on a small screen.

Worth £1300? Hard to say... its the only option I've got (apart from paint) and I'm definitely of the opinion that another option wouldn't have been as much benefit to me (eg DCC or Lane Assist) but I am a mega mile muncher... If I just took it to town on a Saturday, I wouldn't bother with a nav unit!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2018, 10:15 »
The underseat storage removal is a bit odd really...

It is on my July 2017 GTD and we haven't yet reached the next MY yet, so I wouldn't have thought that they would have done that.

Historically, VW have made spec changes twice a year; build week 22 when the next year’s model build commences and build week 45 when further ‘tweaks’ to the spec may be made.

Therefore, removal of the under seat storage may have been from build week 45/17 (along with the felt lining no longer being fitted to the glove box and door pockets, if owners of a cars built from bw 45/17 can confirm they don’t have this in their cars).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2018, 11:56 »
BTW the lock on the glovebox was deleted on my July 2017 car...

The felt, I haven't looked - will look later.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC