Author Topic: VAG automatics  (Read 4268 times)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Re: VAG automatics
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2018, 22:35 »
DTUK Pedal box  :grin:

Discount code RF80  :whistle:

Yep, nice and snappy :grin:

But beware of whiplash  :shocked:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2018, 23:51 »
In manual mode box doesn’t shift up anyway, it just hits limiter.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2018, 08:46 »
I thought that gearbox remaps just gave you full control in manual mode, rather than it upshifting when you want to hold onto the last few revs just before a corner.

It seems to be much more than that according to two people with whom I've closely spoken regarding their DSG remaps. They both swear the DSG remap transformed the car for the better, almost as big a change in feel as the stage 1 remap (their words), even the boring D modes. They say it's overall more snappy and smooth, more in sync with what you want it to do at any given time, picks up immediately and does not get confused occasionally as when stock. Of-course those were remapped cars so usually the main reason to go for one is the increased clamping pressure but it seems the entire DSG map is improved. Whether you could apply it to a stock car and with what results I don't know but every single feed-back I've read about a DSG remap is raving. Will probably try it on mine at some point.

Re the OP's issue, I wanted to say it sounds more like a throttle mapping issue rather than a DSG one. We all know stock throttle map is pretty lethargic, nothing happens until 1/3 of pedal travel, then it suddenly comes on and gives it all by 2/3 of pedal. I reckon this is your problem. Probably give a pedal box a try? if that does not work (they have a return period) an ECU remap with custom throttle response would do it.

In which car does that happen? Because in the Clubsport (and I believe in every other GTI) it's limiter and up-shift no matter which mode you're on.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 16 February 2018, 10:45 »
To the OP: I'd try individual mode and stick the engine into sport mode (engine). See if that makes you feel happier, if it does, get a pedal box which is all that and more.

As for the DSG software upgrade, anyone got any recommendations and prices?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #14 on: 16 February 2018, 11:18 »

In which car does that happen? Because in the Clubsport (and I believe in every other GTI) it's limiter and up-shift no matter which mode you're on.

Mk7 GTD MY17
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2018, 12:45 »

Mk7 GTD MY17

That's super weird. Why would they implement a "change at the limiter" function on performance variants like GTIs and other petrols but leave it hit the limiter and stay in the same gear on a diesel?  :huh:   You're absolutely sure it doesn't up-shift? Would love to see a video of this.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 16 February 2018, 13:54 »
To the OP: I'd try individual mode and stick the engine into sport mode (engine). See if that makes you feel happier, if it does, get a pedal box which is all that and more.

As for the DSG software upgrade, anyone got any recommendations and prices?

See here: http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/tcu_upgrade_dq250_mqb.html

Not a recommendation, just an example! Confirms the upshift on rev limiter, too, which it can disable.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2018, 14:27 »
Thanks - that seems to suggest the an APR stage 1 tune is needed, or at least "recommended".
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2018, 19:09 »
Well, it doesn't change the gearing, as in the ratios, so it's just the degree of control that changes. I don't see how that could be anything but good.

I've always felt that the "D" change points are too low and the "S" change points far too high. Kick down can just make you look a prat, if you flick down a gear, manually, and boot it. Lost in space with loads of noise and only a liitle increase of speed. 😡

Edit:
....but, reading it all again, I see what you mean about it being set up to suit the engine tune. I find some of the gearbox changes are a bit difficult to understand, too. Guess the only way would be to try a car with the gearbox re-map.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2018, 19:29 by Talk-torque »
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2018, 21:22 »
Can't find a 'thanks' button against posts, so - thanks all.

Lots of ideas though some a bit cryptic for me. I basically just drive the things!

eg 'pedal box'?   :shocked: