Author Topic: I spent the weekend in Scotland shooting a video about drifting:  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Jack3559

• I live here
I've just put together a little trailer while I finish scoring the soundtrack for the actual video.

http://youtu.be/gJtBrt9KvX8

I feel as though looking at it now, especially with YouTube's compression I may have been slightly too stylised with the colour grading (read too harsh on the hipster filter).

Let me know what you think!

It's meant to just be a teaser, there will be way more focus on the cars rather than establishing the area in the actual video.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Really like it Jack.

I like the build up but in my opinion the first introduction of the car is a little too soon, my mind is working out the environment then BAM! there's a car. This may have been your intention though. Done a good job so far, can't wait to see the real deal.

I like the music too...

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
how was your trip to scotland then  :smiley: i should never of gave the drifting up after seeing that

Offline Jack3559

• I live here
Cheers T_J_G!  The pacing is a bit odd, but I wanted to move things along for the sake of the trailer, also wanted the impact of the first car coming in with the music cue.  Hopefully the finished thing won't feel so rushed!

Scotland was gorgeous Barry, the 12 hour coach trip up there however, was not!

I really liked the Forth Bridge and Loch Leven's nature park, but I only got to see those from the window of the rental car!

Offline DubFan

• I live here
I think the grading is too dark, I can barely make out some of the detail on the cars.
Probably worth fixing that before you render the finished film.

What are you using for grading? Some professional editor/producers I know are using DaVinci Resolve (from BlackMagic Design) and you can get the free version if you not using it commmercially:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve

The shots themselves are fine, but considering it's a trailer for a video about drifting, there's not enough actual drifting, it looks like it could just be another video of static cars from a show.

Personally, the cloud shots at the start, I would have done timelapse to have them moving faster and to bring up the pace of the video enough for moving cars.

Will watch the final product with interest.

I'm heading to the same area of Scotland in a few weeks, so hopefully come back with some decent photos, but not planning on video.

Offline Jack3559

• I live here
Yeah, I think you're right!  There was a little more dynamic range pre YouTube compression, but I'll take more time when I do the finished product!

I actually got a free copy of Resolve with my BMPCC, but I'm still using Colorista as it's what I'm used to!

The reason I wanted to do a less drift oriented trailer is that I wanted it to stand out from the other videos coming out from the event, in that it doesn't have a dubstep soundtrack and loads of adrenaline shots!

The actual video will have a lot more drifting, but I guess I should have put more tantalising stuff in there to build up interest!