Author Topic: Low oil light  (Read 2627 times)

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Low oil light
« on: 26 November 2016, 12:05 »
I've had my mk5 GT Tdi Sport since March and I've done 12k since, when I got it in March the low oil light came on a day later, no problem I thought, topped it up. The only prob is I've had to top it up twice since,  that's 3 litres in 12k.. is this excessive? What could be causing this? How can I stop such an excessive consumption? It does smoke a bit under hard acceleration, which I was worried about, performance wise it's spot on,

Thanks for your help

Warren
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Low oil light
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2016, 14:32 »
No visible leaks. My pd leaks from the pump on the side of the head. Seal between the 2.

If its excessive or not ive just had to top the a4 up after 4 weeks. But the rockers leak on that

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2016, 17:03 »
Not seen any, but will have a proper look tomorrow, it's that time of year where everyone is mega busy, working and what not, and with the shorter days it's almost impossible to get things done lol

Doing an oil and filter service tomorrow so will have a proper look tomorrow

Thanks
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2016, 20:20 »
I've had my mk5 GT Tdi Sport since March and I've done 12k since, when I got it in March the low oil light came on a day later, no problem I thought, topped it up.
Did you not physically check the dipstick during your pre-purchase or pre-acceptance appraisal?

Personally, I would never touch a vehicle with a bargepole if I were to find the previous owner never dipped the oil and/or allowed the oil light to come on.  The low oil light illuminating means that the engine is dangerously low on oil, and has obviously been neglected for a considerable period of time - and in my expert opinion, is a very BIG problem!

The only prob is I've had to top it up twice since,  that's 3 litres in 12k.. is this excessive?
If you were to read your manual, you will find it is perfectly within tolerance.  The VW limit for acceptable oil consumption is no more than 1 litre of oil per 1,000 miles - so yours is certainly within specs.

What could be causing this? How can I stop such an excessive consumption?
You can reduce your oil consumption by not waiting for the low oil light to come on.  The lower the oil level, the more oil it will use.  The best way is to go back to basics and check your oil level every week using the dipstick.  Topping up little and often is much better for engine life too.

It does smoke a bit under hard acceleration, which I was worried about, performance wise it's spot on,
What colour is the smoke?

Are you actually checking the oil and topping up exactly as described in the owners handbook?  Modern VW Group diesels must have their oil checked with the dipstick, and topped up when necessary, ONLY when the engine is at normal operating temperature - ie, HOT.  If not, there is a very high chance of overfilling with engine oil when topping up.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2016, 06:56 »
I thank you for your response, although it's coming across as patronising, not sure if you have meant this, so I'm prepared to be corrected, I am not some 17yr old spotty oik, i have many years experience with cars, not quite as many as the older generations, but at 33, I'm no beginner, I merely wanted some advice,

I answer your questions in order,

I've had my mk5 GT Tdi Sport since March and I've done 12k since, when I got it in March the low oil light came on a day later, no problem I thought, topped it up.
Did you not physically check the dipstick during your pre-purchase or pre-acceptance appraisal?

Personally, I would never touch a vehicle with a bargepole if I were to find the previous owner never dipped the oil and/or allowed the oil light to come on.  The low oil light illuminating means that the engine is dangerously low on oil, and has obviously been neglected for a considerable period of time - and in my expert opinion, is a very BIG problem!

I did check it, as I had a 200mile trip back to Weymouth with it, which is why I was surprised to see it come on the very next day.

The only prob is I've had to top it up twice since,  that's 3 litres in 12k.. is this excessive?
If you were to read your manual, you will find it is perfectly within tolerance.  The VW limit for acceptable oil consumption is no more than 1 litre of oil per 1,000 miles - so yours is certainly within specs.

Thanks for answering, I do read the handbook, it's one of my geek traits, even though this is my 2nd Mk5 Tdi, I still read the handbook, cover to cover, the other one didn't use as much oil as this one, hence the questions.

What could be causing this? How can I stop such an excessive consumption?
You can reduce your oil consumption by not waiting for the low oil light to come on.  The lower the oil level, the more oil it will use.  The best way is to go back to basics and check your oil level every week using the dipstick.  Topping up little and often is much better for engine life too.

I'm not WAITING for the light to come on, I travel a round trip of 74miles a day to work and back, so I'm fully aware of the importance of checking oil levels, I admit I  don't it religiously weekly, maybe 10-14 days, if it's getting low, I top it up, I keep a litre bottle of top-up oil in the boot..so it's available whenever/wherever I am. (Can't say many 33yr olds do this, not many I know of... I've had friends rip the wee out of me for this..lol)

It does smoke a bit under hard acceleration, which I was worried about, performance wise it's spot on,
What colour is the smoke?

Are you actually checking the oil and topping up exactly as described in the owners handbook?  Modern VW Group diesels must have their oil checked with the dipstick, and topped up when necessary, ONLY when the engine is at normal operating temperature - ie, HOT.  If not, there is a very high chance of overfilling with engine oil when topping up.

It's a black colour, like most diesels under acceleration, but as I've said before, my other one didn't do this at all, I got rid of my other one on 164k, this one has 150k now,

Like I've said, I apologise if you didn't mean to come across as patronising, I don't want to get into a slanging match, I'm here to ask for help, and offer advice if I can, not to argue the toss with people...it's not my nature...Thanks for answering my questions

Warren
« Last Edit: 28 November 2016, 06:58 by hardmonkeys »
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi