Author Topic: Turbo.....  (Read 5062 times)

Offline WillGTTDi150

• Not said much yet
Turbo.....
« on: 14 September 2014, 10:05 »
I've got a mk4 150 diesel, it's on 112,000 miles. Last week the car decided now to give me any power on the motorway when I went for a pretty normal overtake. Driving home the other day and I get the dreaded 'Emissions workshop' alert, to cut a long story short the fault code was for 'Turbo over boost'.

I have spoken to a mechanic and he said the turbo is knackered and I won't be seeing much change out of £1,000 to have it repaired  :cry:

Has anyone had this happen or had replaced their turbo? What sort of cost is average?

Offline EsSeX dAn

• I live here
Re: Turbo.....
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2014, 12:15 »
was it back at normal power after the engine was switched off then on later?
if so itll overboost which causes limp mode caused by a sticking mechanism. if you ok with spanners, whip off the  exhaust downpipe and spray a load of mr muscle oven cleaner up the turbo to clean it out. repeat this 2 or 3 times and tie the actuator open to open out the vnt mech. thisll make it better for a while. if you plan on keeping it ages id say new turbo, but try the mr myscle 1st and go from there!
i think i love you.....

Offline WillGTTDi150

• Not said much yet
Re: Turbo.....
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2014, 00:14 »
I've booked it in to have it looked at, don't fancy messing about with it myself! It seemed to be boosting ok prior to the error message.....