Author Topic: Golf 25 Anni Help Needed in Bristol (Turbo Issues)  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Bam418

• Just got here
Golf 25 Anni Help Needed in Bristol (Turbo Issues)
« on: 12 August 2014, 20:49 »
Hi everyone! So I am new to the forum and to Golf ownership. I bought a 25th Annniversary TDI Golf at the weekend and have been loving it so far.

However today i started to experience turbo lag and now i think the car is in full limp mode. I have no turbo boost at all.

Is there anyone with a VAGCOM in the Bristol/Chippenham area who would be willing to meet up and help me figure out what is going on? I will pay fuel or whatever you need. Just want to figure out whats going on before i start messing around with the car.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 14 August 2014, 11:12 by Bam418 »

Offline Dean_W

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golf 25 Anni Help Needed in Bristol
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2014, 01:08 »
Seems like a boost issue to me. Had one a while back and was tearing my hair out thinking the turbo was nadgered.

Did the car seem more smokey than usual before she went into limp? Does turning the car off then on again solve the issue at all?

With you saying it was lagging i'd say it's underboost. While you're waiting for someone with VAGCOM have a scout around all the intercooler pipes. There may be a leak somewhere. Have a good look around the whole of the hose. I missed a split in mine and that was the cause.

Look around the vacum hoses too. These can go brittle and break giving you boost issues. These are along the bulkhead. Check near the N75 valve too. That's your boost solenoid. A quick google will point you to where they are.

I've had another scout about, anda dodgy MAF can also prevent boost too.

Sometimes it's a simple fix mate, so worth checking the basics first  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 13 August 2014, 03:54 by Dean_W »
2002 GT TDI, Hybrid, Diff etc. 221BHP 355LB/FT

Offline Bam418

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2014, 21:06 »
Hi mate thanks for replying :) Its been doing head in!

I cant say i saw any smoke when it happened to be honest it was just struggling to get to 40mph. Since turning it off and restarting it, it hasn't been the same. Its not it limp mode anymore because i can still hit 90mph but it isnt boosting properly at all. I have to reach around 2500rpm before the turbo kicks in and even then its doesnt feel quite right.

Just been underneath the car and wiggled the actuator up and down a little but it didnt seem sticky or anything. Had a look for perished tubes but its in such a hard position to get too i couldnt see anything. I will have a look around the intercooler pipes tomorrow and near the N75. I have just ordered some cheap code reader which im hoping will spit out some error codes.

I wish the turbo wasnt in such an awkward place!

« Last Edit: 13 August 2014, 21:08 by Bam418 »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2014, 21:27 »
It could be a stuck EGR valve too; thats fairly easy to access at the top of the engine

Offline Dean_W

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2014, 05:43 »
As rhyso says, another common fault there.

Let us know what codes you get.

Offline Bam418

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2014, 11:11 »
Ah ok, im guessing there are fault codes for the EGR value being stuck? I am thinking of trying the Mr Muscle trick in the turbo to see if its clogged veins but would rather try other things first.

The day it happened it was chucking it down, do you think that water could have damaged something?

Offline Dean_W

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golf 25 Anni Help Needed in Bristol (Turbo Issues)
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2014, 06:00 »
Mate, the Mr. Muscle trick is last resort to be honest. Check the easy things first.

Offline Matt35

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2015, 18:33 »
Hi Bam, I also have a 25th anniversary Golf doing exactly the same thing, can you tell me what you did to rectify the issue please???

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2015, 22:47 »
Mines doing similar - f**ked shaft inside the turbo.

Being replaced on weds
Project longterm Airbanger.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163335.0

PD150 Anni daily