Author Topic: Tyre Dressing  (Read 5757 times)

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
Tyre Dressing
« on: 12 July 2017, 17:09 »
Ok I've searched on here and results go back a few years as to recommended dressings, some mentions of Quarts but can't find it on google so maybe not available now, few like Zaino Z16 and its well thought of on CYC, also Meguiars gloss but couple of reviews say it sprays up on car with it being a gel?....maybe not dried off sufficiently.

I've been using Auto Finesse gloss for a while and think its quite good but never tried anything else to compare so just wondered if anyone else has tried it with alternatives before I get some more or possibly try the Zaino when its back in stock. Cheers
Rich

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Tyre Dressing
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2017, 18:00 »
I'm currently using Finishkare Top Kote tyre dressing. I really like it; gives a nice satin finish and has good longevity. It can also be used on plastic and vinyl trim too.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/finishkare-108as-top-kote-tire-dressing/prod_635.html
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2017, 18:02 »
[email][/email]
I'm currently using Finishkare Top Kote tyre dressing. I really like it; gives a nice satin finish and has good longevity. It can also be used on plastic and vinyl trim too.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/finishkare-108as-top-kote-tire-dressing/prod_635.html

+1 for this though admittedly I've also not tried any others.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2017, 18:13 »
Quarts is no longer but is exactly the same product as Achem Hi-Shine Long Life Tyre Dressing which is my preferred tyre dressing and I've tried a few others.  Been using it for a few years now and nothing has toppled its top spot.  Fantastic stuff that stands out amongst tyre dressings (have tried a few).  Goes on with similar ease to a water based dressing but solvent/silicone based so suberb durability and longevity, and no sling.  Depending on application can be matt, satin or gloss. 

http://www.achem.co.uk/shop/product-details.php?prdID=62

Delivery can be a bit pricy but if you get the 5L bottles it's more cost effective and definitely worth it.

For Matt finish - apply and wipe over with MF thoroughly, repeat if desired.

For Satin - apply and lightly wipe over with MF.

For Gloss - apply and leave. More coats equals more gloss.

So a versatile tyre dressing that ticks most if not all the boxes.

In terms of application, apply to clean tyres - washing the tyres is sometimes overlooked during car washing, but your tyre dressing will adhere to clean tyres far more effectively than dirty, gritty tyres. Importantly, don't be tempted to spray it on. It can be done, though it's really a little to thick for that, but don't - if there's a sniff of a breeze, it will end up on your clean paintwork, no matter how careful you are, I've been there, lol. Instead apply to a foam applicator, tyre applicator or microfibre (whichever is your preference) and that way you only get it where you want it.

Also rate Swissvax Pneu but not quite up to Achem standard imo, followed by Meguiars Endurance dressing. 

These are the ones I have tried the following (in order of preference):

1.  achem Hi Shine Long Lasting Tyre Dressing - solvent based silicone formula - clear thin liquid - easy to apply - very good finish - excellent lifespan (up to    4 good weeks)

2.  Meguiars Endurance Gel - purple silicone gel formula - messy to apply even with dedicated applicator - nice finish - ok lifespan (2 weeks max)

Joint 2nd.  Swissvax Pneu

3.  Chemical Guys New Look Tire and Trim Gel - oil based formula - thick clear gel - moderately easy to apply - nice finish very similar to Meguiars - ok lifespan (2 weeks)

4.  Poorboys Bold n Bright Tire Dressing - water based formula - white thin gel - easy to apply but can run - nice finish - poor lifespan (1 week)

5.  Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel - water based formula - pink mid thickness gel -  easy to apply - ok finish - poor lifespan (1 week)

6.  Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss - water based formula - pale blue very thin liquid - easy to apply, but so thin it runs badly - average finish - very poor lifespan (less than 1 week)

Here's a link to some pics of Achem Hi-Shine.

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/11859-tyre-dressing/

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2017, 19:24 »

Thanks for that (& Watts) being able to use it on plastic trim as well is useful and its certainly well reviewed on CYC?....cheers 

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2017, 20:02 »
Quarts is no longer but is exactly the same product as Achem Hi-Shine Long Life Tyre Dressing which is my preferred tyre dressing and I've tried a few others.  Been using it for a few years now and nothing has toppled its top spot.  Fantastic stuff that stands out amongst tyre dressings (have tried a few).  Goes on with similar ease to a water based dressing but solvent/silicone based so suberb durability and longevity, and no sling.  Depending on application can be matt, satin or gloss. 

http://www.achem.co.uk/shop/product-details.php?prdID=62

Delivery can be a bit pricy but if you get the 5L bottles it's more cost effective and definitely worth it.

For Matt finish - apply and wipe over with MF thoroughly, repeat if desired.

For Satin - apply and lightly wipe over with MF.

For Gloss - apply and leave. More coats equals more gloss.

So a versatile tyre dressing that ticks most if not all the boxes.

In terms of application, apply to clean tyres - washing the tyres is sometimes overlooked during car washing, but your tyre dressing will adhere to clean tyres far more effectively than dirty, gritty tyres. Importantly, don't be tempted to spray it on. It can be done, though it's really a little to thick for that, but don't - if there's a sniff of a breeze, it will end up on your clean paintwork, no matter how careful you are, I've been there, lol. Instead apply to a foam applicator, tyre applicator or microfibre (whichever is your preference) and that way you only get it where you want it.

Also rate Swissvax Pneu but not quite up to Achem standard imo, followed by Meguiars Endurance dressing. 

These are the ones I have tried the following (in order of preference):

1.  achem Hi Shine Long Lasting Tyre Dressing - solvent based silicone formula - clear thin liquid - easy to apply - very good finish - excellent lifespan (up to    4 good weeks)

2.  Meguiars Endurance Gel - purple silicone gel formula - messy to apply even with dedicated applicator - nice finish - ok lifespan (2 weeks max)

Joint 2nd.  Swissvax Pneu

3.  Chemical Guys New Look Tire and Trim Gel - oil based formula - thick clear gel - moderately easy to apply - nice finish very similar to Meguiars - ok lifespan (2 weeks)

4.  Poorboys Bold n Bright Tire Dressing - water based formula - white thin gel - easy to apply but can run - nice finish - poor lifespan (1 week)

5.  Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel - water based formula - pink mid thickness gel -  easy to apply - ok finish - poor lifespan (1 week)

6.  Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss - water based formula - pale blue very thin liquid - easy to apply, but so thin it runs badly - average finish - very poor lifespan (less than 1 week)

Here's a link to some pics of Achem Hi-Shine.

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/11859-tyre-dressing/

Thats what I call a comprehensive response!...thanks Rebecca  :smiley: really very useful, I'll swerve the Zaino based on your experience. I use a tyre applicator I got from AF which I find quite good but probably ready for a new one, the Hi Shine 5lt seems pretty good value looking on Achem website even adding in the p&p.

Can I ask whether you can recommend any particular applicator spray bottles, presuming you just top up your own bottles with the Achem?

I'll check out your vwroc link, thanks again  :wink:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2017, 20:19 »
When spraying it on your applicator do it well away from the paintwork.  I actually unscrew the spray head and just tip a bit out onto the foam applicator.

I use these bottles mainly

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/handi-hold-bottle-947ml-/prod_375.html

And with solvent based chemicsl spray heads. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/chemical-resistant-sprayer/prod_373.html

The Zain's was rubbish, I gave it away in the end.

It's worth having a look at the latter pics in the first post of that link as it shows how well the Hi Shine stands up in dirty conditions over a few weeks. Sorry I would have posted them directly here but the links don't transfer from one forum to another so they don't work on here without redoing all the pics and I was being lazy.  :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: 12 July 2017, 20:22 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2017, 20:58 »
No need for apologies at all, I got far more info back than I was expecting! Interesting post on vwroc and I like the look of it on your R, tempted to give it a go and dive in for a 5lt then get a few of those bottles, they come in handy for all sorts of spraying tasks!! :laugh: ....cheers

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2017, 10:12 »

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2017, 10:58 »
I have used a variety of tyre dressings over the years. I do like the finish of meguiars, but find it slings quite alot, no matter how long you leave it. Auto Finesse satin is good after a few coats, but doesn't give as much shine as I would like. I'm currently using Autoglym's new tyre dressing which I find excellent. It dosen't sling and gives a fantastic finish.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights